Lock 3 Park in Akron posted?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Lock 3 Park in Akron posted?

Post by JustaShooter »

Wife is thinking about going to Rib White & Blue at Lock 3 Park in Akron on Friday. Last time I can find a post in this forum was 3 years ago, and at the time it was posted. Seems like it shouldn't be since it appears to be a city owned open-air park, but I'm no expert in such things.

Anyone have more updated info?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
xracer

Re: Lock 3 Park in Akron posted?

Post by xracer »

It was posted last time I was there but as it is a park I'm not sure it is a leagal posting. Anyone know what parks if any can be posted?
Keep your eyes on the road and the rubber side down.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Only Private parks in Ohio can be posted.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

If Rib White and Blue is a private entity renting the park, they may post (not that I agree, just saying what the law is) Now, WHO is putting on the RWB event?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BriKuz wrote:Now, WHO is putting on the RWB event?
Good question. http://www.akronribfestival.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says "sponsored by the City of Akron" and "For the fifth year, the City of Akron welcomes The Akron Symphony Orchestra for a July 4th pops concert and fireworks finale." At the bottom of the web page it says "© 2014 Rib, White & Blue ".

On http://www.akronohio.gov/cms/news/e8183 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, it says "The City of Akron and Metro PCS present Rib White and Blue! Akron's National Rib Festival".

The Festival itself is on South Main Street between University and Bowery Streets and this part of Main Street will be closed off to traffic, but there are also entertainment events happening within Lock 3 Park itself.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:The Festival itself is on South Main Street between University and Bowery Streets and this part of Main Street will be closed off to traffic, but there are also entertainment events happening within Lock 3 Park itself.
This is interesting. The last time I went to Akron Civic Theater, in April, I noticed that Lock 3 Park had permanent gunbuster signs. There was no event there at the time, so the signs were clearly not erected on behalf of a private lessee. However, at that time, I was of the impression that Lock 3 was one of those parks owned and managed by a private entity. Not true.

Lock 3 Park, 200 South Main Street, Parcel No. 6727497, is owned by the City of Akron and has been since 2001.

Is this something which merits our attention? I know that many events are held there, and I'm sure that some private lessees will want to put up gunbuster signs for their events, but to allow the city to maintain permanent gunbuster signs - and to maintain a "no weapons" rule as part of the park's general rules - does seem to violate R.C. 9.68.

Note: The Lockview, across the street, has very tasty gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, but due to their vast plethora of beers, armed admission will require a CHL.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Cincinnati's fountain Square also has old permanent "no weapons" sign. It's mixed in with other NoNos not permitted on the square.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Werz wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:The Festival itself is on South Main Street between University and Bowery Streets and this part of Main Street will be closed off to traffic, but there are also entertainment events happening within Lock 3 Park itself.
This is interesting. The last time I went to Akron Civic Theater, in April, I noticed that Lock 3 Park had permanent gunbuster signs. There was no event there at the time, so the signs were clearly not erected on behalf of a private lessee. However, at that time, I was of the impression that Lock 3 was one of those parks owned and managed by a private entity. Not true.

Lock 3 Park, 200 South Main Street, Parcel No. 6727497, is owned by the City of Akron and has been since 2001.

Is this something which merits our attention? I know that many events are held there, and I'm sure that some private lessees will want to put up gunbuster signs for their events, but to allow the city to maintain permanent gunbuster signs - and to maintain a "no weapons" rule as part of the park's general rules - does seem to violate R.C. 9.68.

Note: The Lockview, across the street, has very tasty gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, but due to their vast plethora of beers, armed admission will require a CHL.
Perhaps we should meet up for lunch sometime... perhaps take a stroll to let the food settle...