Newcomer Funeral Home

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Lone Wolf

Newcomer Funeral Home

Post by Lone Wolf »

Howdy,

A little while back I went to a viewing on one night and the subsequent chapel service the next morning at a Newcomer Funeral Home. This has me scratching my head a bit. I looked at the Do Not Patronize database for the Newcomer Funeral Home and there was only one listing for them. The listing was not for the one that I went to. Not sure if Newcomer is a chain or if they are independently owned franchises. To be on the safe side, I disarmed and locked up my weapon before I went in. I did not see a gun buster sign anywhere. I'm assuming that since it is not posted, carry is legal. Now the head scratching, does the chapel service the next day equate to the facility being considered a church and is now a statutory CPZ? A search of the archives did not really help me any.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
LW
Sherlock Holmes : "You have arms, I suppose?"
Dr. Watson : "Yes, I thought it well to take them."
Sherlock Holmes : "Most certainly. Keep your revolver near you night and day and never relax your precautions"

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "The Hound of the Baskervilles"
Brian D.

Re: Newcomer Funeral Home

Post by Brian D. »

Lone Wolf wrote:Now the head scratching, does the chapel service the next day equate to the facility being considered a church and is now a statutory CPZ? A search of the archives did not really help me any.
In my over ten plus years on this forum I don't recall anyone ever asking that particular question before.

Words and terms used therein are often defined theroughout the Ohio Revised Code. Never looked up exactly if/how it defines a church/house of worship, but it's hard to imagine that the chapel inside a privately owned for-profit business would meet the standard.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Don’t churches/houses of worship, enjoy certain tax advantages?
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Funeral homes in SC are Statutory CPZ's....

I can't see how a privately owned chapel like we're discussing could be considered a House of Worship, particularly inside another business.

However, they possibly could be registered as a Church, and I don't think an "ordained" minister is necessary to get that classification, but it'd be a tough sell to convince a decent jury....

My vote: No sign, no problem.... Just don't ask....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

There are Chapels in some funeral homes....there are Chapels in hospitals, there are Chapels on cruise ships.....

I know, doesn't much answer your question....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:there are Chapels on cruise ships.....
And, Nurse Chapel was on the starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series. :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Can't say I ever watch even one episode or seen any of the movies..does that make me spaced out ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens