Will We Do Nothing? (Long Rant with Images)

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Will We Do Nothing? (Long Rant with Images)

Post by Werz »

Starbucks ... Chipotle ... Chili's ... Sonic ...

Make no mistake. Mothers Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety have a plan. What they cannot achieve through legislation and litigation, they will accomplish by influencing private enterprise. Last year, Starbucks announced their "request" that customers not bring firearms onto the premises. Chipotle has recently done the same. And now, the anti-gun organizations are pursuing more of the same with Chili's and Sonic. Are they doing it by super-secret deals and shadow lobbyists? No. They are pursuing a simple, grassroots campaign through the Internet. This is what we are up against:

That fill-in-the-blank electronic petition can be found at the Everytown for Gun Safety web site, and it is linked to the Mothers Demand Action page on Facebook:

That is how they are doing it. That is how they could present 10,000 signatures to Chipotle, thus convincing the company to publicly announce their "request" that customers not bring firearms into their stores. And they did it right under our noses.

Is there some reason we cannot do the same? Why don't we at OFCC host a "counter-petition" on our web site and link it to our Facebook page? You know what will happen then. Every pro-gun person on Facebook will link to it. Why don't we start with our reaction to the Chipotle announcement? Request that they issue a "gun sense" policy which will specifically allow legally qualified customers to carry concealed handguns into their stores, thus allowing those customers their right to self-defense while not causing undue alarm to other customers. Make the petition that simple. Need a powerful graphic to support our case? Use this one:

Yes, images of an armed robbery at the Chipotle in Westerville, Ohio. It's not the only armed robbery that has occurred at a Chipotle store, but it does demonstrate that those crimes do happen here.

I realize that many folks may not like the idea of "concealed carry only." Too bad. This is not a government entity; we cannot shove open carry down their throats.

Other folks may prefer rubbing elbows with legislators instead of dealing with private entities. Get over yourselves. If we do nothing to influence private entities in a very public way, those private entities will have no problem with quietly approaching our legislators about bans on open carry so that they can avoid any appearance of responsibility for tough business decisions. And all of that will be done in a way which is invisible to us.

We can beat Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety at their own game, but only if we are willing to put in the effort. I am certainly willing to put together more graphics which will address Starbucks, Chili's, Sonic, and any other business they may attempt to influence. I'm willing to work on the wording of petitions and introductory pleas for signatures. Once the right web sites host those petitions, the momentum will build naturally.

Oh, are you afraid that the liberal media will hide away from this? Sure they will ... at first. But the news will spread, first through the conservative and pro-gun blogs, and eventually, to FOX News. At some point, the rest of the mainstream news media will no longer be able to ignore the backlash.

We need to do this. We need to do this now.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
techguy85

Re: Will We Do Nothing? (Long Rant with Images)

Post by techguy85 »

I couldn't agree more. If I can help, with web hosting space, etc. I am happy to do so.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Best idea of seen in quite some time. I dont know how to start this, but I can certainly share the heck out of it if someone else does.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Follow-Up:

Do we need a graphic to get the attention of Starbucks? Try this one:

This robbery happened in Indianapolis. A customer was actually shot during this one.

As to who would design and host such a petition, couldn't this be hosted by OFCC? Isn't Jediskipdogg in charge of such things? I can still write basic HTML, but it's been years since I wrote any JavaScript, and I have no idea how to create a fill-in-the-blank petition which will collate into a long list of signatories. I can supply wording and graphics, but someone more talented will need to write the code.

Beyond that, everyone's job is rather simple: Disseminate!
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm pretty busy right now but I like the idea. I believe we could create an "event" like the fun and gun where people can sign up with some info and it just keep on going. I'll pass this on to the others and see what they say.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

If the petition is on-line, there are plenty of placed to link to. Not everyone trolls forums or does Facebook, though.

What if some of those graphics were made into 8 1/2 x 11 posters for use in gun shops and the like, with the host sight's address? Do you suppose there would be organizations like NRA or GOA that would include the graphics and host sight's address in their magazines(print or on-line)? I suppose if it was a paid ad, they'd do it, but I have no idea how much that would cost.

This is a big enough problem that maybe collaboration between OFCC, INGO, PFAO, and other state organizations would be beneficial. If ads are placed, there will be costs, and if more are involved, the cost would be spread out.

Kudos to Werz, for spurring us into action!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Count me in,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:This is a big enough problem that maybe collaboration between OFCC, INGO, PFAO, and other state organizations would be beneficial.
That's the type of cooperation I hope to see. Ideally, some group like the Colorado-based Rocky Mountain Gun Owners could personally deliver printouts of the signatures to Chipotle headquarters, just like our opponents did.
-- BobK
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Do you want me to link this thread to INGO now or is it a bit premature?

Give me the word, and I'll link it.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would be happy to drive out and deliver our message to the Chipotle HQ...if only I could afford the gas money.
MyWifeSaidYes
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

I'd have no problem taking a road trip.

Gary
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:Do you want me to link this thread to INGO now or is it a bit premature?

Give me the word, and I'll link it.
That's fine with me. I'm willing to work with anyone who shares common goals and is willing to be reasonable. I have drafted a very simple petition proposition, accompanied by an extended introductory plea, using the same format and tone used by Everytown. It's difficult for them to cry foul when we respond in equal measure, and the involvement of many state organizations would make it more difficult for them to engage in a trite attack on the evil monolith of the NRA. It would also give this effort some "grassroots" appeal.

A copy of my proposal can be found at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzbXu ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- BobK
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Werz wrote:That is how they are doing it. That is how they could present 10,000 signatures to Chipotle, thus convincing the company to publicly announce their "request" that customers not bring firearms into their stores.
There's a lot of good in this idea, but I'll just point out that I haven't seen Chipotle's say anything about the supposed 10,000 signatures. That all comes from MDA's press release. I don't even see anything online showing these supposed signatures.

What I'm saying is that while MDA may claim Chipotle's decision was in response to their petition, Chipotle's never says that. Their online petition is little different than the dozens of others out there. Anyone can sign them, as anyone, and can do it as many times as they like. The one major difference is MDA doesn't seem to make the signatures publicly viewable.

Did the pressure & PR from Moms Demand Action have an effect? I believe it did. Would it have had the same effect without the supposed "10,000 signatures"? I believe it would.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

This is in response to an E-Mail I sent out over the weekend to Chipotle.

Troy,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about the presence of guns in our restaurants. We completely respect your feelings on this matter and understand that there are very strong arguments on both sides of this issue.

Earlier this month, participants from an “open carry” demonstration in Texas brought guns into one of our restaurants. Because the display of firearms in our restaurants has caused such discomfort for many of our customers, we believe it is time to make a request that customers do not bring guns into our restaurants.

We understand the vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and follow local laws while carrying their firearms. We hope that those same citizens will understand how allowing guns within our restaurants could cause anxiety and concern for many customers and will honor our request to refrain from bringing their firearms into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

We're certainly sorry if this request has offended you in any way and appreciate you sharing your perspective.

Sincerely,
Amanda C

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill

I responded back letting them know that the only acceptable action would to band open carry of long guns.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

troy bilt wrote:This is in response to an E-Mail I sent out over the weekend to Chipotle.

Troy,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about the presence of guns in our restaurants. We completely respect your feelings on this matter and understand that there are very strong arguments on both sides of this issue.

Earlier this month, participants from an “open carry” demonstration in Texas brought guns into one of our restaurants. Because the display of firearms in our restaurants has caused such discomfort for many of our customers, we believe it is time to make a request that customers do not bring guns into our restaurants.

We understand the vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and follow local laws while carrying their firearms. We hope that those same citizens will understand how allowing guns within our restaurants could cause anxiety and concern for many customers and will honor our request to refrain from bringing their firearms into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

We're certainly sorry if this request has offended you in any way and appreciate you sharing your perspective.

Sincerely,
Amanda C

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill
A re-structuring of their original statement. It states nothing more. And it's unlikely they will commit to more without pressure.
I responded back letting them know that the only acceptable action would to band open carry of long guns.
While that may be the expectations of some, I do not intend to demand open carry from a private enterprise. I think there are enough people who are satisfied with concealed carry under those circumstances that a powerful statement can be made.
-- BobK