How should this sign be interpreted?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

doublestack

How should this sign be interpreted?

Post by doublestack »

I ran across this today while shopping with the wife. I wasn't sure how to interpret, I got hung up on the "Unless otherwise authorized by law..." bit. Thoughts?

Glock 19 - Crossbreed Supertuck
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
rDigital

Re: How should this sign be interpreted?

Post by rDigital »

That part applies to law enforcement and armed security guards. This sign effectively makes it criminal trespass for an armed CHL to enter.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Don't carry there
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Sounds like a grey area based on my limited experience and knowledge.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Aesinsp wrote:Sounds like a grey area based on my limited experience and knowledge.
Nope. No grey area. That is the wording required by ORC 2923.1212 for statutory no-carry locations. And since the intent is clear, it would be a legal posting for a private business or property (in my opinion).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Interpret as they do not want your money!

Argh my logo is gone, time to renew... I just got my membership card like a month ago lol..
doublestack

Post by doublestack »

Thanks for the feedback. I leaned towards, not OK to carry there. I also was at a restaurant that still had the liquor control Class D warning signage too. I didn't say anything, but it makes me wonder why the owners/managers of establishments don't keep up with the law and such.
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

doublestack wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I leaned towards, not OK to carry there. I also was at a restaurant that still had the liquor control Class D warning signage too. I didn't say anything, but it makes me wonder why the owners/managers of establishments don't keep up with the law and such.
And what is wrong with that? It still applies, just not to us!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
doublestack

Post by doublestack »

Ahhh. good point!!
Ruger SR1911
OH CHL & PA Non-Res LTCF
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

doublestack:

Here we go again :D....

It's fairly clear that either the proprietor doesn't want us in there, or somebody sent him a sign with a "you must post" note, and he didn't ask anybody....

However, that's not the AG's sign, either, which makes the "obtained from" wording bogus.

(Unless they changed something I missed :D.)

The ORC is pretty specific about those signs NOT authorizing us on Statutory CPZ's, but really doesn't cover CHL's on private property. On duty LEO's can ignore these signs anyway, with a few exceptions, on Statutory CPZ's, but may have issues on private property without the "unless authorized" wording, BUT, my take is that I'll carry there unless asked not to.

Warning: IANAL, and this is the Internet :D. Just sometimes there's nobody else to ask. The law doesn't specifically unexempt us for private property but does appear to tell the property owner to consult his lawyer before using the sign. Disregarding all the crazy stuff about "assume", IMHO, I think a presumption that he/she DID consult a lawyer might be valid, and that counsel advised him/her that there was a big hole in "unless authorized", and the proprietor chose to ignore it....

Now, if the sign just says "no firearms", or "no firearms unless you're an LEO", that's another story, and i think they've been reading us, because you will find signs worded that way. No question there - vote with feet....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Hey Stu, I'm having trouble finding that section of the ORC that authorizes a CHL holder to carry past a sign that says "it is illegal to carry a firearm...anywhere on these premises", could you point me there? Thanks... :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Trilby

Post by Trilby »

My CHL was "authorized by (a) law" for places except schools, post office, et al. Why can't the wording of the laws be changed to allow background checked, law abiding citizens to enter some of the places with these confusing (to me) signs.
I can accept an absolute, I don't want your business sign and go elsewhere, but frankly, this wording is messed up.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Give it another six months and a good gust of wind and that sign will be a moot point.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Trilby wrote:My CHL was "authorized by (a) law" for places except schools, post office, et al. Why can't the wording of the laws be changed to allow background checked, law abiding citizens to enter some of the places with these confusing (to me) signs.
I can accept an absolute, I don't want your business sign and go elsewhere, but frankly, this wording is messed up.
Because the General Assembly in its infinite wisdom hasn't come to the same conclusion you have, yet.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

The sign applies to government buildings. When that sign is posted on a private establishment the "Unless otherwise authorized by law...” is an invitation to come on in. R.C. 2923.1212 does not mention one word about private establishments.

Look at it this way, just because a security guard wears a uniform, carries a gun and gives the appearance of having super powers, the security guard has no police powers at all, no more than you.

Werz totally disagrees with me, but the AG booklet makes it clear that before a private establishment uses the sign they should consult an attorney; wonder why?