Moving to OH soon - The frequency of CPZs in your area?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ElBurroLoco

Re: Moving to OH soon - The frequency of CPZs in your area?

Post by ElBurroLoco »

djthomas wrote:
remphoto wrote:In rural counties like here in Wyandot, GB signs are virtually non-existent. The only ones I see are in statuatory-restricted areas like the post offices, hospital and county buildings.
Just a nitpick: hospitals are not statutorily restricted in Ohio unless they are also government facilities, e.g. Cleveland's Metro Health. Granted your odds of finding one that isn't posted are slim to none but it's just a trespass violation for most of them.

When folks say that signs have the force of law in Ohio it doesn't really tell the whole story. Carrying in most posted private premises is not a weapons violation, which is what I think of when I hear "signs have the force of law." A violation does not risk your CHL or 2A rights. In (nearly?) every state the basic trespassing statute applies to being on someone's property against their wishes, whether that be as a skateboarder or a person with a gun. In reality it's that way in Ohio too. We just happen to have a reference to the pre-existing trespass law in the CCW law for the purpose of clarifying that a private CPZ is not a weapons violation.

In fact if you read Indiana's trespassing statute it's very similar to ours:
IC 35-43-2-2 Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
(1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
(b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
(1) personal communication, oral or written;
(2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public;
Emphasis mine. The penalties are much worse in Indiana though. Violations bring up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine. In Ohio it's 30 days and $250.

Thanks for the clarification. Is it a misdemeanor, though?
djthomas

Re: Moving to OH soon - The frequency of CPZs in your area?

Post by djthomas »

ElBurroLoco wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Is it a misdemeanor, though?
In Ohio? Yes. Criminal trespass is a fourth degree misdemeanor which is one step above a routine traffic ticket.