Goodwill Industries

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bobgun

Goodwill Industries

Post by Bobgun »

Today I went to the Goodwill thrift store in Weirton WV. When I got out of my car I noticed a sign on the door saying I was not welcome in the store, because I carry a gun for self defense. I spoke to the manager and was told the it was put up by Corporate. The women told me her family did not like it either. I then informed them they would not be getting any further donations from me. I also sent an email to their HQ expressing my displeasure. The funny part about the sign is it said it was illegal to carry in the store under Ohio law.
Brian D.

Re: Goodwill Industries

Post by Brian D. »

Bobgun wrote:The funny part about the sign is it said it was illegal to carry in the store under Ohio law.
I've seen that with thrift stores before, "secondhand" gunbuster signs because the management is just that tight-fisted. Believe it or not the 5/3 Bank branches in northern Kentucky also hung up Ohio-specific signage. Always wondered how much force of law that could really have behind it...
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Every Goodwill store I have seen is posted. However I have noted that at least one St. Vincent DePaul thrift store is not posted. Guess who gets my donations now.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

One thing to keep in mind about Goodwill is that "corporate" is usually a small entity that serves at most a few counties. They all share the Goodwill name but are run separately. For instance every Goodwill in Cuyahoga County is posted but next door here in Lorain County they are not and have not as best I can recall. Lorain and Cuyahoga are served by different entities.
Bobgun

Post by Bobgun »

I emailed the national HQ for Goodwill, and got back an email that said the local HQ has complete control of the policies of the stores located in their area. I found the Weirton store is in the Canton OH. district. I emailed them, but have not gotten a response. I will continue to try to contact them.
MakarovFan

Post by MakarovFan »

I went into the store in wintersville, across the river from weirton, the other day looking for a crock pot or a hot plate to make bullet lube in, and there was no signs up anymore on their doors.
There used to be posted maybe a year ago when i was last in it.
Webeable

Post by Webeable »

Sad but many people believe guns are dangerous, not that bad people make guns dangerous
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

I have notice that the Goodwill store on Snow road is not posted? Is this a change from the way things had been? Or just someone removed the notice? anyone know?
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Dave, they are almost always posted; typically what happens is a sign falls or gets torn off, or they remove it to clean the glass and forget to reinstall it, etc.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

mreising wrote:Every Goodwill store I have seen is posted. However I have noted that at least one St. Vincent DePaul thrift store is not posted. Guess who gets my donations now.

Yeah that is the one that me and my fiance visit and donate to...Besides, their prices seem better than the others lol
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
ppfd

Post by ppfd »

I stopped by GW here in Point Pleasant, I swear, I think this store was NOT posted. If it was, it was no where in plain sight.

Now my issue is I bought a bottle jack new in the box and it doesn't work! :x
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

The Goodwill in Eastlake (Lake County) is not posted from what I saw. They also give good receipts for audit time.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

ppfd wrote:I stopped by GW here in Point Pleasant, I swear, I think this store was NOT posted. If it was, it was no where in plain sight.

Now my issue is I bought a bottle jack new in the box and it doesn't work! :x
Check the oil level. I've had more than one new bottle jack that was low on hydraulic oil; topped them off and they worked fine. Make sure to use oil specifically made for hydraulic jacks.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life