The Strip in Canton

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bkfamily1

The Strip in Canton

Post by bkfamily1 »

question...

I have seen the Strip (the shopping and restaurant area west of 77) in Canton/North Canton listed on the CPZ app on my phone. On the app, it says it has been verified by OFCC. I am at the Strip regularly, have looked several times, and I do not see signs anywhere there. People have said that they have signs in the parking lots, but I have not seen them there either. I have not looked on the doors of all of the stores, but I have looked at Lowes, Giant Eagle and Walmart, and they do not have the signs. Am I missing something, or is the info on the app outdated? I have submitted a change to the app, but it apparently was not accepted. I would imagine they pay more attention to what OFCC says, so maybe it will take someone from your org to get it changed. Unless of course I am missing something.
bonedude

Re: The Strip in Canton

Post by bonedude »

If I'm remembering correctly those signs are only at the entrance to the whole parking lot / road area. Smallish signs, almost look like a speed limit. I've seen them. Someone else can probably tell you the details about parking lots. They aren't really enforceable except if the company would bring a civil suit against you. If the stores themselves aren't posted I would still carry.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

In the search bar type in "strip north canton". Lots of info for ya.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
bkfamily1

Post by bkfamily1 »

I will look next time I am there for the little-ish signs by the main entrances to the parking lot.

I understand that in parking areas they can't really enforce. Thanks for the reminder.

I guess my point is that on the "Posted!" app, for The Strip, it says that it is posted "no guns" (or something like that) all over the place. In reality, from what I have seen, and what you have commented, at most there are a couple of signs coming into the area, and some of the stores may individually say it (although the few I have checked did not). So it seems to me like the info on the app is overstating the CPZ at the Strip. And I hate to see the businesses that allow it to be cast in a poor light if it is not accurate.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The strip is posted at all the entrances.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Certainly, you should search the forum for the previous discussions. But as a quick synopsis: There are those that believe that posting every entrance to the property expresses the desire of the property owner to post the entire property as no guns, including the buildings on the property, which means violating the posting has severe consequences if noticed, arrested, etc. Then there are those that believe that the postings of the entrances only serves to post the parking lot, not the buildings, which means the penalties for violating the posting are much less severe and require the owner to show damages. And finally, there are those that don't care either way and will carry regardless - "concealed means concealed" - and believe that even if they are noticed that there will be multiple levels of opportunity to leave the premises without being arrested.

Bottom line, this is one of those grey areas in the law that will take a test case to resolve (or a change to the law to eliminate or clarify it).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

JustaShooter wrote:Bottom line, this is one of those grey areas in the law that will take a test case to resolve (or a chance to the law to eliminate or clarify it).
Some would argue that when one posts that the "premises" are off-limits, then no "grey area" exists.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jabeatty wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Bottom line, this is one of those grey areas in the law that will take a test case to resolve (or a change to the law to eliminate or clarify it).
Some would argue that when one posts that the "premises" are off-limits, then no "grey area" exists.
I tend to agree with you. Others do not.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
bkfamily1

Post by bkfamily1 »

Paul wrote:The strip is posted at all the entrances.
Paul - where? I have looked and not seen them. I believe you, but I swear I do not see them. I was just at Lowes on the strip tonight, and I did not see them as I drove into the parking lot, and they definitely were not on the doors into the store?
tOSU

Post by tOSU »

The signs are posted at every entrance off of Strip Ave & Mega St
Paul

Post by Paul »

bkfamily1 wrote:
Paul wrote:The strip is posted at all the entrances.
Paul - where? I have looked and not seen them. I believe you, but I swear I do not see them. I was just at Lowes on the strip tonight, and I did not see them as I drove into the parking lot, and they definitely were not on the doors into the store?
I'm in Florida until May so I can't verify the signs. The last time I was there they were at every entrance to the Strip. The entrance to Walmart was also posted.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

Back in 2012, Janae and I lived in Canton for a while... this was well before we had our CHLs... we carried at the WalMart and several other stores on multiple occasions... I NEVER saw any of the parking lot posted signs... AFTER we got our CHLs, we have been to Wasabi Japanese Steakhouse, OCing, with nothing but a "Thank You" from a manager... the manager mentioned that the property owner wanted no guns, but that Wasabi and several other establishments DO want lawful carriers' business... being as it is a shared parking area, and the lease for the retail space INCLUDES rent for parking, if even ONE business allows firearms, then the parking lot posting is invalid, IMHO...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Aaaannnddd here we go again. By law, either the owner or person in control of the land can post the property. It does not take consent of all involved. Also, since every entrance onto the property is posted, it seems clear that the intent is to post the property, not the parking lot. And since the property as a whole is not primarily a parking structure/facility, violating the signage constitutes criminal trespass, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

If the establishments renting / leasing the property wish to allow firearms, and the property owner does not, the property owner wins - it is up to those renting or leasing the property to convince the owners to relent. In the mean time, anyone carrying onto the posted property is in violation of the law.

Yes, I know, "concealed means concealed" and it would take many things coming together for it to ever become an issue, however I choose to take my business elsewhere. I will not knowingly or willingly give my money to anti-gun businesses, which includes giving money to those who pay rent to anti-gun businesses.
NRA Life Member

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:And since the property as a whole is not primarily a parking structure/facility, violating the signage constitutes criminal trespass, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
Hugely unscientific study here but I'm looking at a satellite image of the property and I think that greater than 50% of the square footage is a parking lot and/or facility. In general the main parking lot is quite a bit wider than the strip building to the west. As to the standalone places on the east they each seem to be surrounded by a larger parking area.

So on a square footage basis I think that this particular piece of property is primarily a parking lot.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:And since the property as a whole is not primarily a parking structure/facility, violating the signage constitutes criminal trespass, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
Hugely unscientific study here but I'm looking at a satellite image of the property and I think that greater than 50% of the square footage is a parking lot and/or facility. In general the main parking lot is quite a bit wider than the strip building to the west. As to the standalone places on the east they each seem to be surrounded by a larger parking area.

So on a square footage basis I think that this particular piece of property is primarily a parking lot.
:roll:
Perhaps on a square footage basis, but I can't imagine you'd be successful in arguing that it was anything other than primarily a retail / shopping center. Be serious, you don't go there to park, you go there to shop, eat, etc. That fact that there is a large amount of parking is secondary to the primary use of the property. Take away the retail / shopping aspects of the premises and there would be no reason to go there.

I'm continually amazed at the lengths some folks will go so they don't feel like they are doing anything wrong by supporting anti-2A businesses.
NRA Life Member