Is the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati a CPZ

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

utvolben

Is the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati a CPZ

Post by utvolben »

Before I walk all the way from a parking garage to the Aronoff Center and might have to hike all the way back to the car. Is the Aronoff Center in downtown Cincinnati a CPZ?

There is an old thread on this topic but it is based on outdated laws which is why I'm posting again.

Thanks!
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Is the Aronoff Center in Cincinnati a CPZ

Post by rainmaker »

Didn't see any signs last time we saw a show there (last September). IIRC, they may sell wine and "high roller" snacks in the lobby. Parking lots usually have their (old) NG signs.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I can't remember. Last time I was there it was pre CHL for me. Wife drug me to a Harry Connik Jr concert...yawn....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
remark_m

Post by remark_m »

I was just there and they do have signs posted...they are clear so they are hard to see/read. I did not get to read them but I did see the red circle.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

A bit of thread necromancy, but this fits the thread exactly.

The Aronoff has signs next to each entrance that read:

"In accordance with the Ohio revised code 4301.637(B) Firearms are not permitted within this facility. a licensed liquor establishment."

That makes their posting the same as the grocery store "Liquor Control" signs, doesn't it?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

147Doc wrote:
That makes their posting the same as the grocery store "Liquor Control" signs, doesn't it?
The signs are indeed referring to the exact section of the law that our licenses exempt us from. They called the tune by citing 4301.637, it's too bad they don't understand its full meaning, or at least the fact that a cut-out was made for us a few years ago.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Brian D. wrote:
147Doc wrote:
The signs are indeed referring to the exact section of the law that our licenses exempt us from. They called the tune by citing 4301.637, it's too bad they don't understand its full meaning, or at least the fact that a cut-out was made for us a few years ago.

Not sure I'd want to try to convince CPD of that... I suspect you'll get the "let the courts sort it out" treatment, meaning you may beat the rap - but not the ride.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

FormerNavy wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
147Doc wrote:

Not sure I'd want to try to convince CPD of that... I suspect you'll get the "let the courts sort it out" treatment, meaning you may beat the rap - but not the ride.
Yeah, even if you carried the entire, up to date ORC around with you, with plain-English explanations of each section.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

I'll resurrect this thread..headed there this afternoon. I will be pleasantly packing since the signage reflects liquor establishments..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life Member NRA
BobK

Post by BobK »

I will note that the standard liquor control sign uses the language "If you are carrying a firearm Under the statutes of Ohio,if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony", however, it does not say "firearms are not allowed here".

I'd argue the sign posted above clearly states "firearms are not permitted in this facility". Even if the rest of the gobbledygook makes no sense, the sign clearly states no firearms.

Personally, I wouldn't try to argue that one. Yo may not only not beat the ride, you may also not beat the rap.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

BobK wrote:I will note that the standard liquor control sign uses the language "If you are carrying a firearm Under the statutes of Ohio,if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony", however, it does not say "firearms are not allowed here".

I'd argue the sign posted above clearly states "firearms are not permitted in this facility". Even if the rest of the gobbledygook makes no sense, the sign clearly states no firearms.

Personally, I wouldn't try to argue that one. Yo may not only not beat the ride, you may also not beat the rap.

Totally agree...
mreising

Post by mreising »

BobK wrote:I will note that the standard liquor control sign uses the language "If you are carrying a firearm Under the statutes of Ohio,if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony", however, it does not say "firearms are not allowed here".

I'll disagree. If they want to prohibit carry, then they should clearly state such. Using the Liquor Control provided sign does not say, clearly or otherwise, that "firearms are not permitted in this facility". For one to be guilty of the felony mentioned on the sign, one must be carrying and not possess a CHL. Now, does the facility believe they are prohibiting all firearm carry? Probably, but they did not state such. If the facility is a government facility where government employees are regularly present, then they should be posting the "gun buster" sign, although I would also comply with the "crayon on a napkin stating 'NO GUNZ' ", as that conveys their intent.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

mreising wrote:

I'll disagree. If they want to prohibit carry, then they should clearly state such. Using the Liquor Control provided sign does not say, clearly or otherwise, that "firearms are not permitted in this facility". For one to be guilty of the felony mentioned on the sign, one must be carrying and not possess a CHL. Now, does the facility believe they are prohibiting all firearm carry? Probably, but they did not state such. If the facility is a government facility where government employees are regularly present, then they should be posting the "gun buster" sign, although I would also comply with the "crayon on a napkin stating 'NO GUNZ' ", as that conveys their intent.
I don't necessarily disagree in the legal analysis... but I think from a practical standpoint, the sign is close enough for the police who would in all likelihood "let the courts sort it out." You may beat the rap, but not the ride...
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

I disagree. The comma clearly reflects that the basis of the signage refers to not carrying because of the liquor. I carried. I'd carry again.
Life Member NRA
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

On a related note of signage, before my grandmother-in-law passed she lived in a retirement/nursing facility that was posted. However if one took the time to read the sign it said something to the effect that weapons were permitted on premises unless the person was exempt per ORC 2923.12.

Trouble (for them) is, licensees are exempt from 2923.12 under division (C)(1)(b). One could argue that they really only meant to exempt police officers, but the problem is the statutory exemptions from 2923.12 all live in (C). Law enforcement are exempt under (C)(1)(a). Without being more specific one can reasonably infer that any of the exemptions listed under (C) are sufficient. Words mean things and someone's sloppy wording on a sign is their problem.