Dave & Busters in Hilliard signage question

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mikeytreehorn

Dave & Busters in Hilliard signage question

Post by mikeytreehorn »

Quick question about signage I encountered this weekend. I went to the Dave & Busters in Hilliard this weekend for a family birthday. I checked the DNPWA database before leaving, and this location was not listed. Upon arriving and scanning the front doors, no gun buster sign was seen so I went in and enjoyed dinner. After paying for the meal, we returned back to the front waiting area, where there is a counter to purchase game cards for use on their games. Only after waiting in line to get some game cards, my mom noticed and pointed out the sign posted high up on the wall behind the counter. It was one of the ones in the black frame, along side the sign about "if you are under 21 and consuming liquor..." (may or may not be exact wording). I don't remember the exact wording of the firearms sign, but it had big red "WARNING" at the top followed by "if you are in possession of a firearm..." It wasn't conspicuous in the least, we only noticed as a result of standing in line for several minutes and looking around/reading things to pass the time. Also, I think I have seen something on here before in this regard, that those signs are old, must be posted and apply to the employees, and the like.

So anyways, the quick question (finally) is: What's going on here? Was I good to carry?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Dave & Busters in Hilliard signage question

Post by Sevens »

That is a standard sign issued by the liquor control board, and it's also quite dated and hasn't changed for years. It's pretty meaningless for those of us who legally carried concealed with an Ohio CHL.

As long as you were not consuming any alcohol, you were good to go.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

It's my understanding that the sign has been changed recently, but it's still irrelevant to CHL holders who are not consuming alcohol.

My favorite is the one I saw in TX a few years ago, to the effect that "if you've got a license, fine; otherwise, begone"....

What's really funny are two signs I saw at DFW in the last few months - text only, and probably not actually valid inTX (I'm not sure what rules they have for airports), but inside the sterile area. I asked a countergirl at that gate why they'd bothered with the sign, and she said "who knows?".... :D

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Glock36fs

Post by Glock36fs »

What If a store had a sign requiring carriage of firearms could someone found not carrying be convicted of a felony? :lol:
RESTORE AMERICA NOW!...Ron Paul 2012.

"The utopian schemes of leveling [redistribution of wealth], and a community of goods, are as visionary and impracticable as those which vest all property in the Crown. [These ideas] are arbitrary, despotic, and, in our government, unconstitutional." - Samuel Adams

"Guns don't kill people, the government does." -Dale Gribble
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Glock36fs wrote:What If a store had a sign requiring carriage of firearms could someone found not carrying be convicted of a felony? :lol:
Well, since Lautenberg manages to survive Constitutional challenges, I suppose you could, but Israel's probably the only place that a prosecutor wouldn't be laughed out of office for trying.

(That little town in Georgia - Kennesaw? - that required everybody to own a gun - pretty well admitted that it was a protest against another town in IL that insisted that nobody should own one. I doubt if anybody's ever tried to enforce it in GA.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

SMMAssociates wrote:It's my understanding that the sign has been changed recently, but it's still irrelevant to CHL holders who are not consuming alcohol.

Unfortunately it was not changed.
R.C. 4301.637
(B) Every place in this state for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code shall be issued a printed card by the division that shall read substantially as follows:

“WARNING

If you are carrying a firearm

Under the statutes of Ohio, if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony and are subject to a term of actual incarceration of one or two years.”

No person shall be subject to any criminal prosecution or any proceedings before the division or the liquor control commission for failing to display this card. No permit issued by the division shall be suspended, revoked, or canceled because of the failure of the permit holder to display this card.

Effective Date: 07-01-1997
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

wobblygoblin wrote:
SMMAssociates wrote:It's my understanding that the sign has been changed recently, but it's still irrelevant to CHL holders who are not consuming alcohol.
Unfortunately it was not changed.
R.C. 4301.637(B) *** if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony *** (Emphasis added.)
It may not have changed, but it's not inaccurate. If you carry a firearm into D permit premises, openly or concealed, and if you are not a CHL holder, you are guilty of a felony. Go to directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

In case anyone's interested, having a kid age 5 is a wonderful thing where I can now go back to video arcades and not feel like a weirdo.

But what is pleasantly surprising, is that Dave and busters has a policy sign right when you walk in, and they actually address carrying a firearm. They expressly prohibit open carry of firearms but allow concealed.

I'm guessing this will still anger people that believe in open carry, but as I would never open carry, especially to a family place, I am quite happy that this business has a sensible policy.

I have gone to quite a few of them around the country, including the one on the west side of cleveland, Polaris, multiple california locations, orlando, and Boston. All have the same sign and same policy. I'm sure state law supercedes, but it's nice that it's consistent.

First couple times I took my son, I didn't even bother, and then I just glanced at the sign and saw that it was legitimately addressed.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I can a justifiable reason for that. If you're in one of those little sit down cubby hole video games, it could be hard to protect your holster from someone coming up behind you, especially if the game is distracting you...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Since this thread is alive again, I'll add that the 16 Bit bar/arcade chain seem to all be posted against carry. Locally, so is the "Arcade Legacy: Bar Edition" in Northside. I've communicated with all of them via their Facebook pages, to no avail.

Love me some pinball, the older the better. Not many around here these days.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

You'll never catch me in there with my kids, at least the Cleveland one. Maybe the others are better.

As I understand it half the patrons smell like weed and the PD trolls the lot looking for easy pinches (nothing wrong with the latter). Judging by the number of "Drug arrest/Stolen property/Disorderly conduct/Drug overdose/Assault, First Street" items in the Cleveland.com blotter it sounds like the kind of place to keep my family away from. Seriously I'd bet it's in the blotter at least every three weeks. I certainly wouldn't open carry there, even if allowed and I had a level 9 holster. Too many opportunities for certain folks to think they can redeem their little game tickets for a real gat.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

djthomas wrote:You'll never catch me in there with my kids, at least the Cleveland one. Maybe the others are better.

As I understand it half the patrons smell like weed and the PD trolls the lot looking for easy pinches (nothing wrong with the latter). Judging by the number of "Drug arrest/Stolen property/Disorderly conduct/Drug overdose/Assault, First Street" items in the Cleveland.com blotter it sounds like the kind of place to keep my family away from. Seriously I'd bet it's in the blotter at least every three weeks. I certainly wouldn't open carry there, even if allowed and I had a level 9 holster. Too many opportunities for certain folks to think they can redeem their little game tickets for a real gat.
You mean the one in westlake :?:
Black Rifles Matter