Flint Ridge a CPZ?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

walnut red

Flint Ridge a CPZ?

Post by walnut red »

My wife and I went to Flint Ridge yesterday and noticed "No Firearms" being listed on the entrance sign and the park rules sign. I can see the museum, which was closed, being a statutory CPZ but how can the trails themselves be legally posted?
djthomas

Re: Flint Ridge a CPZ?

Post by djthomas »

I guess I don't know enough to respond intelligently. Is Flint Ridge owned or leased by a private group? Sometimes historical areas are owned by the .gov but handed off to private entities to maintain. Unfortunately state law allows private entities leasing premises from a government agency to prohibit firearms under the private property rule.

It's also possible that the sign is an old one referring to the usual no hunting/target shooting prohibitions that are found in parks.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

djthomas wrote:I guess I don't know enough to respond intelligently. Is Flint Ridge owned or leased by a private group? Sometimes historical areas are owned by the .gov but handed off to private entities to maintain. Unfortunately state law allows private entities leasing premises from a government agency to prohibit firearms under the private property rule.

It's also possible that the sign is an old one referring to the usual no hunting/target shooting prohibitions that are found in parks.
It's run by the Ohio Historical Society. I don't know whether it is privately owned or not, but the mailing address is to an individual.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

The sign is still there with a reference to ORC 155.05.
155.05 Violating rules at prehistoric parks.
No person shall willfully violate a reasonable rule governing the access to prehistoric parks or historic grounds made by a person, association, or company owning or having custody of such parks or grounds nor shall any person injure or mark structures, trees, or plants therein. Whoever violates this section is liable to such owners or custodians for damages.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

These historical sites sure seem like government-underwritten if not owned outright, to me. Some of them get very few visitors, aren't open that much, and yet seem to somehow stay afloat anyway, year after year. They poormouth, beg for donations, threaten to close forever, yet don't.

Maybe because Ohio has some smaller state parks (without facilities to generate revenue) much like historical sites, and I KNOW the parks are publicly owned, that's why I mentally draw that comparison.

Closest you can get to an answer on their websites is that they are 'public/private working together' or words to that effect.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

It's listed as a State Park on Google Maps.
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

No person shall ... Whoever violates this section is liable to such owners or custodians for damages.

What damages can arise from carrying a firearm? Unless you use it, of course, but just carrying it?
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Darkness wrote:
No person shall ... Whoever violates this section is liable to such owners or custodians for damages.

What damages can arise from carrying a firearm? Unless you use it, of course, but just carrying it?
You might hurt somebody's feelings. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Brian D. wrote:
Darkness wrote:

A lot of that seems to happen these days.. Reminds me of TR's micro aggression post. :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Brian D. wrote:
Darkness wrote:

Sources report that seminars are being held all around the country by lawyers attempting to establish a scale of fees for damages awarded in Butt Hurt litigations.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Just browsing and found this somewhat old thread. I do know that Flintridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. IDK if that makes it Federal land, though, or if federal laws apply.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!