Ohio Renaissance Festival

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cisco7200

Re: Ohio Renaissance Festival

Post by cisco7200 »

Beekeeper wrote:I was there yesterday, but not carrying--none of my guns will fit in a sporran and no pockets on a kilt either. I didn't see any signs, although I wasn't really looking for any either.
You could have used an inside the thigh carry holster. :mrgreen:
You Can't Fix Stupid
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

Sounds like a great place to OC.... I can put a ribbon around my Serpa Level 2 Holster.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Beekeeper wrote:I was there yesterday, but not carrying--none of my guns will fit in a sporran and no pockets on a kilt either. I didn't see any signs, although I wasn't really looking for any either.
I was there Saturday and I looked for the signs. I couldn't find any.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
jimpen

Post by jimpen »

I'm a frequent attendee. I have found out, for other reasons, the whole fairgrounds is zoned as a bar. It's probably the biggest bar in Ohio. :) So prior to the change in the law for restaurant carry, it would have been illegal to carry a firearm unless you are one of the actors.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

jimpen wrote:I'm a frequent attendee. I have found out, for other reasons, the whole fairgrounds is zoned as a bar. It's probably the biggest bar in Ohio. :) So prior to the change in the law for restaurant carry, it would have been illegal to carry a firearm unless you are one of the actors.
I see this is your first post so welcome to the OFCC forums!!

Just curious, what's the legal basis for this assertion? Assuming it's a real firearm none of the exceptions in 2923.121 would have applied. Of course we could get hyper-technical and argue about whether the general fairgrounds constituted a room or open air arena, but I digress on that point.

Maybe you're thinking of the school safety zone law that allows replica firearms to be possessed for use in a dramatic presentation?
jimpen

Post by jimpen »

djthomas wrote:Just curious, what's the legal basis for this assertion? Assuming it's a real firearm none of the exceptions in 2923.121 would have applied. Of course we could get hyper-technical and argue about whether the general fairgrounds constituted a room or open air arena, but I digress on that point.
I looked at it from the http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.121 2923.121(D)/(E) view

I was carrying a flask of whiskey and offered it to a fellow patron. A security officer saw me and "ordered" me to pour it out, or else. He stated [paraphrased] "The whole area is registered as a bar." I don't know the class of the license, and details -- I'm sure if I pushed I'm sure they could have stated the ORC for carrying into a bar. I had an additional contact with security that the one LE pulled out a Waynesville Police badge. As I understand if, the largest majority of the security staff -- the gray shirts -- are either off-duty law-enforcement or other first responders.

I'm a paying attendee, but I have become a friend and acquaintance of several of the acts and the regular vendors over the years. I'm there to have an enjoyable time and want to come back every year. The "infringement" on my rights starts getting into complicated territory. If they had tried to trespass me or something similar for a "first offense" then I would have argued.

I'm only carrying a battle sharpened sword when I attend. But that is because I will probably be drinking several beers.

I know, I'm a wimp. The question is do you argue principle every single time, or just walk away and go on with life. The Ren fest is essentially it's own little world on the weekends.
Greg the baker

Post by Greg the baker »

Since this thread is a bit dated, does anyone know the status of whether or not this is a CPZ? I got free tickets from work and will be going in the next few weeks.
IC1 SS SSN653

Post by IC1 SS SSN653 »

I went there for Pirate's Weekend.
They are posted with signs of Red Circle Slash over a gun silhouette at the entrance, which was strange.
Plenty of people carrying edged weapons there, including many of the actors.
There are knife throwing and battle ax throwing contests.

Plus you can buy about any sword, knife, mace, battle ax, club, spear, pike, bow and arrow etc. there from many vendors.
U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine Veteran,
Sig P226 - 9mm, Sig 230 - 380 Auto, Ruger Mk III Bull Barrel - .22
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

They are indeed posted with at least one large gunbuster sign. The sign isn't directly in your path to the gate however, it's more off to the side... so you may have to look for it, or not... :wink:
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Didn't see a sign when I went, and I was looking for it. We went directly to the gate though, because we already had our tickets, so maybe the sign was over by the ticket booths.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
IC1 SS SSN653

Post by IC1 SS SSN653 »

The Gunbuster sign was to the left of the ticket booths.

I could see it :x as I was walking towards the ticket booths from the parking lot.
U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine Veteran,
Sig P226 - 9mm, Sig 230 - 380 Auto, Ruger Mk III Bull Barrel - .22
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

Was just there this past weekend. Posted about eye level on the left side of the castle gates as you are walking in. If there is a large crowd (in the morning for example) you could miss it walking in on the right side. Otherwise fairly prominent :(
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Wife and I went last Sunday.

The festival was operated by one guy for the first 25 years (yes, it's been that long), but is owned by new management this year.

Their website and the fine print on the tickets makes no mention of firearms, but simply states "All weapons must be peace bonded."
I had hope! Hope, I tell you!

Alas, though... the same circle-with-a-slash no-gun sign is by each entry.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Guns have always been a 'no-no' there. I always thought it was a leased area by whomever through it. I volunteered for a day serving food when I first moved to Ohio five years ago and met some of the actors / saw their living area: tents. They were basically gypsies and roved from festival to festival. I was told they were hired by some guy who ran these festivals.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

SeafoodGuy wrote:I went to the Renaissance Festival tonight with some friends, it's definitely not posted at the entrances.

Just don't be a ding dong and open carry and risk ruining it in the future for us concealed carriers.
Yeah, I was there last weekend and it's posted. However, the sign says "costume weapons only." I decided not to use my concealed handgun for self-defense, but it made a good addition to my costume (I was dressed as a regular guy from the year 2015) so I brought it in.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.