Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jmelvin

Re: Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad?

Post by jmelvin »

This railroad sounds very much like the Grand Canyon Railroad that runs from Williams, AZ into Grand Canyon National Park - South and back daily. The rails there are likely owned by the park, but the train itself is privately owned.
Hey there pal, let me sell you on the reliability of these unreliable things we call people!
OhioRRConductor

Post by OhioRRConductor »

jmelvin wrote:This railroad sounds very much like the Grand Canyon Railroad that runs from Williams, AZ into Grand Canyon National Park - South and back daily. The rails there are likely owned by the park, but the train itself is privately owned.
You are correct. From CVSR.com:
Today, the historic rails are owned by the National Park Service as part of its goal to preserve the significant cultural resources in the Cuyahoga Valley. The organization operates the excursion train through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in cooperation with the National Park Service.
The rails are owned by the park, but the train is owned by the Cuyahoga Valley Preservation and Scenic Railway Association. Us volunteers who staff the train operate under the park rules. Speaking of rules, this is right from the handbook:
Visitor firearm Carry policy

Federal law allows possession of loaded firearms in national parks. This law allows visitors
who can legally possess firearms under federal and Ohio state law to possess firearms in
Cuyahoga Valley national park. In the state of Ohio this allows both open and concealed
carrying of firearms in the park.

However, no volunteer shall be in possession of a firearm while volunteering in Cuyahoga
Valley national park or while in uniform.

Although it is now legal to carry loaded guns in national parks, the new federal law does
not change existing laws and regulations that prohibit the use and discharge of firearms
in national parks. Hunting is illegal in Cuyahoga Valley national park. Target practice also
is banned.

Firearms cannot be carried into federal facilities within national parks. facilities will
be marked with a “firearms prohibited” sign. facilities include all visitor centers, the
Cuyahoga Valley environmental education Center campus, and any facility used daily by
federal employees.

Other weapons, such as bows, swords, and pellet or BB guns, are prohibited by the
national park service.
P.S. THIS IS MY REASONING, CONFIRM THIS YOURSELF ---->Since the tracks are owned by the park, the train traveling on it is an extension of the park, therefore firearms are allowed.

Hope to see you aboard in 2012!!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Welcome aboard, OhioRRConductor!

My family followed a Cuyahoga Valley train that came to the Canton depot. It would have been better to have been aboard, but hearing the steam whistle in the distance, and watching for the smoke then seeing it go by was a lot of fun!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
BigV

Post by BigV »

Mustang380gal wrote:Welcome aboard, OhioRRConductor!

My family followed a Cuyahoga Valley train that came to the Canton depot. It would have been better to have been aboard, but hearing the steam whistle in the distance, and watching for the smoke then seeing it go by was a lot of fun!
This train runs right beside my house. It's nice to watch when the steam engine comes chugging past.
Here's a pic taken from my yard.
BigV
hAkron

Post by hAkron »

This train runs through my backyard. I'm on a hill so I never get a good look at it, but I'm glad to know the passengers aboard are legally allowed to defend themselves.
Ben4Freedom

Post by Ben4Freedom »

I know this thread has kind of died out, but I just saw this on the CVSR website.

"No Firearms are permitted on the train." http://www.cvsr.com/important-information" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have any more news regarding this?
smokewagon

Post by smokewagon »

My father and I rode with my kids 2 weeks ago with our bikes. Bike riders are confined to the last car. We both carried and never saw any signage to state we couldn't. Honestly we ride couple times a summer, sometimes I carry, and sometimes I don't. But after that girl disappeared and ended up dead in the river there, I make sure I'm armed. Especially since the parks being so tight lipped about the cause of her death.
BigV

Post by BigV »

There are NO CPZ signs at any of the passenger boarding stations (Rockside, Peninsula or Akron), or any of the Bike Aboard stations. No signs on any of the train cars or anywhere on the train.
The female that was found dead in the CVNP was not murdered (that's all I can say until the park releases their official statement).
BigV
BillSWPA

Post by BillSWPA »

I am planning a visit later this month. Any updates regarding signs or other obstacles to carry? Thanks in advance!
BigV

Post by BigV »

BillSWPA wrote:I am planning a visit later this month. Any updates regarding signs or other obstacles to carry? Thanks in advance!
Nothing has changed. Carry away!
BigV