Cleveland or Akron Zoo

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

iceman71

Re: Cleveland or Akron Zoo

Post by iceman71 »

It only becomes a no zone if you are with the Kids for the School function. It is the same if you are at a public park, as long as your and your kids are not with the school you are not in violation.
Plinko

Post by Plinko »

The Cleveland Zoo does have several alcoholic drink stands throughout the complex. I know they serve beer but I don't know if they sell wine or anything else. If they did sell wine/mixed drinks at these stands, wouldn't the whole place be considered a open air arena? Definite borders+mixed drinks=off limits, regardless of lack of signs.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Plinko wrote:The Cleveland Zoo does have several alcoholic drink stands throughout the complex. I know they serve beer but I don't know if they sell wine or anything else. If they did sell wine/mixed drinks at these stands, wouldn't the whole place be considered a open air arena? Definite borders+mixed drinks=off limits, regardless of lack of signs.
.......................BEER HERE>>>>>>>> I never seen any beer any where. Metro Parks do not allow beer , I thought. :?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Plinko

Post by Plinko »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Plinko wrote:The Cleveland Zoo does have several alcoholic drink stands throughout the complex. I know they serve beer but I don't know if they sell wine or anything else. If they did sell wine/mixed drinks at these stands, wouldn't the whole place be considered a open air arena? Definite borders+mixed drinks=off limits, regardless of lack of signs.
.......................BEER HERE>>>>>>>> I never seen any beer any where. Metro Parks do not allow beer , I thought. :?

A few years ago, a company "end of summer" picnic was at the Cleveland Zoo. A few of us convinced the boss to let us score a beer. We found 1 stand but it was shut down for the day. We talked to the employee working right next to it at the ice cream stand and asked what the deal was. Too many call offs so they shut the beer stand down. The lady claimed we could talk to her manager about it and we did. We tried to convince him to reopen the stand but with no success. That's how I knew there was at least beer there and that's why I don't know what they actually sell there. I doubt it has changed in the last few years.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Plinko wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:

A few years ago, a company "end of summer" picnic was at the Cleveland Zoo. A few of us convinced the boss to let us score a beer. We found 1 stand but it was shut down for the day. We talked to the employee working right next to it at the ice cream stand and asked what the deal was. Too many call offs so they shut the beer stand down. The lady claimed we could talk to her manager about it and we did. We tried to convince him to reopen the stand but with no success. That's how I knew there was at least beer there and that's why I don't know what they actually sell there. I doubt it has changed in the last few years.
The Zoo's contract food service provider has a D5 that covers the entire address. On a guess I would say that beer is sold in the park through concessions and liquor would be served at catered or special events.

If you are of the "beer isn't liquor" mind set I would suggest you give them a call and confirm that wine is not sold by concessions before you carry there, also confirm if liquor is being served at private events can those attending the event consume away from the event or are they restricted to a designated event area.
PERMIT HOLDER-----------------CLASSES ORIGINAL QUOTA
------------------------------_______ ISSUE DATE EXEMPT

0252635 D5 11/29/2007 NONE
D6 11/29/2007 NONE

ARAMARK FOOD SERVICE LLC
DBA CLEVELAND ZOO
3900 WILDLIFE WAY
CLEVELAND OHIO 44144
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Cyclimus

Post by Cyclimus »

The wife and I took our son to the Akron Zoo on Saturday. Noticed that they posted the parking lot attendant shack (probably to keep those $7.00/hour teenagers from packing heat in their little shack) but nothing else (not the main building, nor any of the other buildings). We didn't venture into the food area to see what sort of beverages they serve; I plan to next time we're there.

As of now, I see no reason why we couldn't carry, at least at the Akron Zoo.
Give me liberty or give me death.
A.Nonimus

Post by A.Nonimus »

Akron Zoo IS posted right at the parking lot entrance gate. I work there on a conract basis once a week and have to disarm.
In God We Trust
matthollycart

Post by matthollycart »

Can someone explain to me the reason why you can carry at Cleveland Zoo (because it is considered metroparks) but you cannot carry in the buildings? Are the buildings privately owned and the rest of the zoo is not? I would think as long as it is all part of metroparks, then it would all be legal, regardless of their postings.
“Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.” William Penn
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

Concealed carry is permitted in the zoo but not any of the buildings or eating establishments.
Packin' Mom
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

As a side note, the Columbus Zoo is posted on the "parking lot attendant shacks" as well as the gates going in.
matthollycart

Post by matthollycart »

packin'mom wrote:Concealed carry is permitted in the zoo but not any of the buildings or eating establishments.

Right, but I am looking for why this is the case.
“Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.” William Penn
Plinko

Post by Plinko »

matthollycart wrote:
packin'mom wrote:Concealed carry is permitted in the zoo but not any of the buildings or eating establishments.

Right, but I am looking for why this is the case.

Maybe those signs existed since day 1 of legal CCW in Ohio and nobody has ever challenged that since it is a D5 anyway.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

matthollycart wrote:Can someone explain to me the reason why you can carry at Cleveland Zoo (because it is considered metroparks) but you cannot carry in the buildings? Are the buildings privately owned and the rest of the zoo is not? I would think as long as it is all part of metroparks, then it would all be legal, regardless of their postings.
Because we are not allowed to carry in government buildings. Cleveland Metroparks is a government entity to which we pay taxes.
Stephen2

Post by Stephen2 »

A.Nonimus wrote:Akron Zoo IS posted right at the parking lot entrance gate. I work there on a conract basis once a week and have to disarm.
You cannot carry inside the parking booth. If you go there once a week to work in the parking booth then you need to disarm.
Umm, that's cartridges, not bullets and magazines, not clips.
cowboy1964

Post by cowboy1964 »

Regarding school safety zones, I just looked at the CHL pamplet. As long as you're not on school property and not in the bus or off-property activity you should be fine. In other words, if you're at the zoo don't be walking in the middle of the pack of 5th graders or entering the cafeteria when they're all in there.

Regarding buildings within Metroparks, the pamplet prohibits carry in "government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is located." Note the last part of the sentence in italics. I really don't understand what it's saying.