CPZ Business Owner Letter

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NotRight

Re: CPZ Business Owner Letter

Post by NotRight »

While the liability for the actions of a legal licensee generally lies with the licensee, you may be liable for injuries that result from prohibiting self defense.
This line reads like it is a continuation of the description of Section 2923.126(C)(2)(a), which it is not... right? Can it be rewritten so somebody can't accuse OCCW of intentially trying to imply it is? Or am I just nit picking... What do our lawyers on the boards think of that line? Is it true that I, as a CCW licensee, can sue a buisiness with a CPZ policy if I am attacked and hurt on their property assuming being armed could have prevented the attack? Or is the point moot since it would be civil and wouldn't matter as you can sue anyone for anything in this country... Just askin'! :mrgreen:
Steve "NotRight"
US Navy Veteran '85-'91
Retired Firefighter (IAFF) '92-'07
Cowboy Mounted Shooter (CMSA)
NRA Member
2 Ruger Vaquero .45 single action revolvers, Ruger LCP, Ruger SR9c

"Castle Doctrine strictly enforced"
SigMan

Post by SigMan »

I've looked around but haven't seen it so i'll ask here. Is there a form letter with the addition or explanation of no longer having to post in establishments that serve?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. - THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William Stephens Smith, November 13, 1787.

You can have Freedom or Free things but not both, choose one!
Retiredfly

Post by Retiredfly »

Regarding the Business Owner Letter, the paragraph about "'No Firearms' Signs are Dangerous", states that such signs prohibit off duty police officers from carrying their weapons into the posted premises. Are we sure about this? It was my understanding that police officers are NOT under the restrictions of the concealed carry laws that the general public is.

I would strongly recommend checking the Ohio Revised Code on this. We don't want to be putting our credibility in jeopardy by signing off on erroneous information. If the law is written as I believe, that section will have to be corrected.
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

Retiredfly wrote:Regarding the Business Owner Letter, the paragraph about "'No Firearms' Signs are Dangerous", states that such signs prohibit off duty police officers from carrying their weapons into the posted premises. Are we sure about this? It was my understanding that police officers are NOT under the restrictions of the concealed carry laws that the general public is.

I would strongly recommend checking the Ohio Revised Code on this. We don't want to be putting our credibility in jeopardy by signing off on erroneous information. If the law is written as I believe, that section will have to be corrected.
First, I want to say welcome to the forum. :)

Now, in answer to your question:

Police Officers in Ohio are not exempt from criminal trespass, or any other laws unless expressly stated therein, when not performing their official duties.

In addition, even though you did not ask about it, LEOSA also does not exempt an individual from state laws that allow persons to prohibit firearms on private property or prohibit firearms on public property.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2911.21 Criminal trespass.

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:
(1) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another;
(2) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another, the use of which is lawfully restricted to certain persons, purposes, modes, or hours, when the offender knows the offender is in violation of any such restriction or is reckless in that regard;
(3) Recklessly enter or remain on the land or premises of another, as to which notice against unauthorized access or presence is given by actual communication to the offender, or in a manner prescribed by law, or by posting in a manner reasonably calculated to come to the attention of potential intruders, or by fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to restrict access;
(4) Being on the land or premises of another, negligently fail or refuse to leave upon being notified by signage posted in a conspicuous place or otherwise being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Retiredfly, I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!
Retiredfly wrote:Regarding the Business Owner Letter, the paragraph about "'No Firearms' Signs are Dangerous", states that such signs prohibit off duty police officers from carrying their weapons into the posted premises. Are we sure about this? It was my understanding that police officers are NOT under the restrictions of the concealed carry laws that the general public is.
Yes, we are sure about this.

It is not "concealed carry laws" that are applicable anyway. Carrying onto a posted premise is criminal trespass.

One way some departments sidestep the question is to declare that their officers are "always on duty".

But it is quite clear that an off-duty police officer is bound by the same criminal trespass laws as anyone else. Retired police officers even more so, since they cannot exactly claim the are "on duty".

There is also the issue in this post-American society of showing me any LEO is who is going to arrest an off-duty officer for this offense anyway. Rules don't apply against police officers if police officers don't choose to enforce them.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

I am wanting to sent this letter to the petsmart near the Tr-county mall. Any info would be helpful on how to get this started.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
DGMilty
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by DGMilty »

Ah...something I overlooked in the website upgrade. I'll do some looking, if I can't find it on the web site, I have it on the computer. I can email the letter to you, or better yet, send me their address and I'll mail one out.
visit my good friends at SWCDeals.com
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

DGMilty wrote:Ah...something I overlooked in the website upgrade. I'll do some looking, if I can't find it on the web site, I have it on the computer. I can email the letter to you, or better yet, send me their address and I'll mail one out.

petsmart
Address: 11741 Princeton Pike, Springdale, OH 45246
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
alan93

Post by alan93 »

can we get a html version? I cant get pdf on google tv and wanted to show my wife.