What's happening to Fairlawn/Montrose Area?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CoolPops

What's happening to Fairlawn/Montrose Area?

Post by CoolPops »

Off Rt. 18 3 of the 4 or 5 major plazas are marked CPZ for the whole property. One has CompUSA and Borders (never had a CPZ sign before), another houses Walmart, who has never had CPZs. But now the property owners are posting CPZ signs?

Fairlawn is just about useless now to anyone w/CHL. I contacted three stores that I shop at (CompUSA, Borders and Walmart) thanking them that they have never put up a CPZ and welcome me as a patron, however, that their land owners are now prohibiting me from shopping in their store. The B&N down the road is not a CPZ, so I can shop there for books, their are other Walmarts around than are not CPZ, but CompUSA is important to me, being in the computer profession, but not important enough to not shop there.

I did not get a response from any of the three stores. All three I sent an email to, so who knows. Maybe a call or personal visit would be more helpful.

Anyone else here shop in Fairlawn? Have you contacted them?

Jeremy
2Fast4You

Post by 2Fast4You »

I shop in fairlawn quite often, although I haven't been there lately. By the way I've never seen a sign where I shop.

Bill
We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless."
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I know of at least one case where an establishment has been recently told that they need to post in order to be eligible for their insurance/workers comp/whatever. The blanket immunity clause is something that needs to go. We really need something like Kentucky's where a business is immune from the actions of a CHLer should they permit them on the property, but posting "in no way diminishes the due care that a property owner must exercise in providing for the safety of those on their premises." The real wording is much more eloquent but it makes it real clear that Don't Post=You're immune from a CHLer, Post=Don't even think of trying to claim you were providing a "safe" place for your customers because of the sign. If that happened you can bet that a lot of insurance agencies would re-run the numbers and start telling places they must take their signs down if they want to be covered. I'm sure that's a large reason for why you almost never see a private CPZ sign in Kentucky.

In terms of legislative priorities, I'd probably be willing to trade that small section of the immunity clause for being able to carry in a restaurant. You could probably even stick it in the next tort reform bill so it wouldn't stand out as much.
hkuspclem40

Post by hkuspclem40 »

CoolPops......Those parking lots were posted shortly after CC became legal in Ohio. If you do a search on the forums and the DNPWA list. you should find a history of that.

I can't quite remember right now, but, I think those are Stark Ent. properties which = automatic CPZs.
babyhuey

Post by babyhuey »

Does that mean that we can't even leave our firearms in the car? I've been wondering about that for a while.