Student Caught with Gun at School, Columbus OH

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Regulator2

Student Caught with Gun at School, Columbus OH

Post by Regulator2 »

Student Caught with Gun at School

Columbus Police have arrested a Mifflin High School student after he was caught with a hangun on school property.

Thursday, October 11, 2007
The school got an anonymous call saying 17-year-old Bryan Bowman had a loaded gun. The prinicpal pulled him out of class and after his backpack was searched, the gun was found.

Bowman has been charged with carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a deadly weapon in a school zone and receiving stolen property.

The gun was stolen out of a robbery back in January.
Copyright © 2003-2007 Clear Channel. All rights reserved.
They should have also charged him with having a gun underage, since they like to pass those laws to prevent my nephews from being able to hunt and own guns like I did at thier age

I honestly hope they throw the book at the punk....

but I am sure someone will come out and say he's a good boy, I just don't understand it, he's a great kid, he wouldn't hurt anyone..
Last edited by Regulator2 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Isn't the 1000 School Zone a Federal charge?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Signs. We definitely need more signs. Bigger signs. Better signs. More signs.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

On what grounds was his backpack searched? An anonymous caller can support reasonable suspicion now?

This garbage in public schools is getting out of hand. How can we stop all the violence, drug use, dropouts, etc.? The schools are too big. Like in big cities, individuals with problems fall through the cracks. Education isn't something that should be done in mass-production style. Kids deserve individual attention.

Also, IMO, it's time to tell the kids who don't want to be there that they're free to go. Compulsory education means that teachers spend a disproportionate amount of their time handling a select few "problem students." By handling, I mean, of course, disciplining. Schools are there to educate and not to discipline. Further, the kids who don't want to be there are most likely (a.) not learning and (b.) preventing others from learning. If the kids are giving the teachers problems, the school should release them. Chances are, those kids don't want to be there anyway.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

I graduated in a high school class of about 75. We never had drug or weapons searches. It wasn't an issue. We didn't have metal detectors or "resource officers," either.

Oh, and no one failed out or was held back.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

there were 93 in my small town rural high school Graduating Class in 1985

the ones who didn't want to be at the high school were given the option of the vocational school, auto shop, hairstylist, metal working, whatever they taught there

I always, always, had at least a .22 cal rifle, a shotgun, or larger caliper rifle hanging in the gun rack in the rear window of my pickup

it was there, just there, and parked in the school parking lot every day

and it was never an issue...or a problem, no SWAT team was called in, no Code Blues were issued

but hey that was in Noble County...not anywhere around here in Kolumbus
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Yuppies

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Blame it on the yuppies, the way they raised thier kids. Or I should say they didn't raise their kids.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
CableGuy

Post by CableGuy »

Tweed---- here you go.....
a previous post of mine..........

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... ht=batavia

Joe
Favorite recent Quote:
"As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Yuppies

Post by rickt »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Blame it on the yuppies, the way they raised thier kids. Or I should say they didn't raise their kids.
The inner-city is filled with "yuppies"?

Fifty years ago, our society was much more socially conservative than it is today. Crime was significantly less back then. We could go out trick-or-treating on Halloween with NO adult supervision because the streets were safe. The idea of guns in schools was unthinkable.

Since then, our society has become much more liberal in many ways. Now we are reaping the consequences of those changed attitudes.
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

I am 42..graduated in 1983..not THAT long ago ( I keep telling myself lol) I had 36 kids in my garduating class..THIRTY SIX! we all knew each other...You knew every kid in school and if they were trouble or not. The teachers knew us all personally and they also knew your parents by their first names. We talked hunting and shooting and fishing...Our FFA held a pest hunt each year with the grand prize being a new .22 rifle that the winner took home on the bus if I am not mistaken....my how times change........ :(
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Cableguy: Bigger, they need bigger signs in cities. Bigger the city, bigger the signs. As I always tell the nice bank lady, the sign on the door is so small the thugs might not see it. I have suggested a sign so large it would drape over the roof, covering all sides of the bank.