CPZ question

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kbrake

CPZ question

Post by kbrake »

I am sure that this has been askd and answered but I want to know. I went to my local hardware store and they had a gun buster sign in the window. It said that unless you were authorized by law you could not carry a gun in their store. I am authouized by law to carry a gun. It probably don't matter but why not mince words?
Walk softly and carry a big TAURUS!
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: CPZ question

Post by jgarvas »

They're copying the state proposed sign for government buildings. The language says unless otherwise authorized by law. When it comes to the signs prohibiting licensees from entering a property there are no other laws that would authorize you to walk past that sign.

There are laws that would probably allow police officers and private investigators to walk past that sign, but PI's in Ohio are required to carry openly.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

jgarvas wrote: There are laws that would probably allow police officers and private investigators to walk past that sign, but PI's in Ohio are required to carry openly.
PI's (and security guard providers) can carry concealed while working if they also have a CHL and are following the laws pertaining to concealed carry (and with their employer's permission, of course). [ORC 4749.10 (C)]

The lawmakers left out PIs (and security) when making the concealed carry law, so they are not listed with the exceptions for concealed carry, and need a CHL to do so.
Last edited by charles1198 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

charles1198 wrote:
jgarvas wrote: There are laws that would probably allow police officers and private investigators to walk past that sign, but PI's in Ohio are required to carry openly.
PI's (and security guard providers) can carry concealed while working if they also have a CHL and are following the laws pertaining to concealed carry (and with their employer's permission, of course). [ORC 4749.10 (C)]
Which means they are prohibited from carrying past a "No Guns" sign. The only way they can carry concealed is if they are statutorily equivalent to you and I. The point I was trying to make is, if they carry openly, they are "otherwise authorized by law" and that the sign has no authority to prohibit them. (Which doesn't mean they can't be asked to leave anyway)
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

If a PI was openly carrying, I'd say that he was "otherwise authorized by law" because ORC 4749.10 allows him to carry in his job.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
almega

Post by almega »

I didn't see a sign.
Colonel: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Robert: It keeps me warm.

"I've seen officers pull the weapons and their finger goes right on the trigger! BAD COP!, NO DONUT!" - Dr. Winston
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

almega wrote:I didn't see a sign.
That happens to me sometimes, too. :oops:

Some places aren't very good at posting it where anyone can see it. I have very mixed feelings about the situation. :lol: