Types of Ghost buster signs

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tom Wills

Types of Ghost buster signs

Post by Tom Wills »

I visited the Summit Mall 2 weeks ago and entered the mall through one of the major department stores. I saw no "sign" and told my wife, this is great, I was really surprised it wasn't posted. Well yesterday, I had to go back, but this time, entered through one of the entrances that went directly into the mall area. There was no typicaly gun with a slash through it sign, but as I was 10 feet into the mall area, I saw a poster with "mall rules" on it. At the top of the list was the rule, "no firearms or deadly weapons allowed on premisis".

My question is: I guess they have a right to "post rules", but with this type of posting would you get into the same trouble as you would if you got caught entering a place that posted according to "the rule book"? There's a difference between them asking you to leave if they notice a firearm, versus having you arrested for committing a felony.

They did not make it obvious or easy to see that you cannot carry in the mall and if you enter through a store entrance, you don't even see ANY display of any sign or rules.

I guess the main question is: If a place of business is not going to allow concealed carry, are THEY required by law to post the signs in a specific place and use a specific style and wording of sign? And if not, are we relieved of committing a crime if we enter a place that is not posted correctly.
Tom Wills
The 2nd Amendment.....It ain't about hunting
medphys3

Post by medphys3 »

Unfortunately, this happens more often than not.

Businesses are not REQUIRED to follow any particular format for notifying people of their ban on firearms. In a perfect world, the signs would be posted at the entrance for all to see. In my opinion, I think these signs are posted inside the building in an attempt to please everybody. The posting of the sign tells the "anti-self-defensers" (they’re not anti-gun in my book), that the business supports the ban on firearms. BUT, since it is inside in an inconspicuous place, those carrying will not see the sign and are welcome to shop just as if there were no sign posted. Just my opinion though...

Think about it this way, do you ever see a "no solicitation" sign INSIDE a buisness?

My thoughts... use another entrance and don't walk by the sign. You are there to shop, not read.

Todd
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

medphys3 wrote:
Businesses are not REQUIRED to follow any particular format for notifying people of their ban on firearms.
Todd
I'm fairly sure that the law spells it out. They must be posted at the entrances.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Old Rules?

Post by Cruiser »

Could these be the Rules that were posted when the Mall was originally opened? You will find these signs in businesses all over Ohio. Most are Pre-CCW. I know the best policy if no sign is obvious, is to not ask. But in cases like this shouldn't we maybe talk to Managment and get it clarified. It is entirly possible that they are not even aware of the conflict it creats?
Tom Wills

Post by Tom Wills »

All good ideas. It seems to me now that this is another near sighted stipulation that the congress either didn't think about or skipped over.

If convicted, we could face a very stiff penality. Being that it is that severe, the congress should have made it VERY clear as to how businesses needed to post their property so as to not "entrap" those of us who want to protect ourselves.

Put this one down in the same arena as the beloved vehicular carry rules!
Tom Wills
The 2nd Amendment.....It ain't about hunting