Expired CCW Summit County-Do I start over?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

taus82

Expired CCW Summit County-Do I start over?

Post by taus82 »

Hello. Unfortunately, I accidentally let my CCW license expire this past February. My original license was issued in 2008 and renewed in 2013. This would have been my second renewal.
I have my expired license plus my original training certificate. Questions for the group:
-Do I need to take the entire course again, or does my existing certificate (completion date of 3/15/08) suffice?
-Is this considered a new application or renewal?
I've read conflicting (and confusing) information on various websites on the topic, and can't seem to get a hold of anyone live at the Sheriff's office to ask. Hoping someone here can help me out. Thanks in advance.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Expired CCW Summit County-Do I start over?

Post by JustaShooter »

This is a simple renewal. You do not need to take the class again or do anything special. Your expired license is sufficient proof of competency (good that you have it, even though the law doesn't require it for renewals). All you need is the completed application and the renewal fee of $50.

Here's the relevant section of Ohio law:

ORC 2923.125 (F) (1)
(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Your expired license is proof of taking the course.
Should be considered a renewal. CHL does not have the nonsense about having to pay fines or take course again if you let it get to far past expiration, unlike the DMV does with your driver's license. Just don't try carrying on an expired CHL. As long as you have your CHL you can renew regardless of how expired. Just schedule the renewal appointment (if needed) and bring a completed renewal form and fee. I'm sure others here will correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't believe everything you read on a Sherrif's website. When I went to renew, Miami County site stated that renewals from other counties would be treated as a new applicant. Went in prepared to have to argue with them but they treated it as a renewal and didn't say a word.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

What they said. Do not, I repeat do not go to Summit County.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:What they said. Do not, I repeat do not go to Summit County.
Do you have new information since Officer Munday retired? I know it was bad under her reign, but is it no better now?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:What they said. Do not, I repeat do not go to Summit County.
To the OP, if you are a Summit County resident, I would recommend Wayne County (Wooster). They are great to deal with - if you give them a self-addressed, stamped envelope they will mail the license to you and you will likely have it in just a couple of days.
NRA Life Member