Question or recommendations

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Nacona

Question or recommendations

Post by Nacona »

Hello all new here and at wits end trying to find an answer. I'm hoping someone will know or can recomend a place to get an answer.

Long and short of it. I've had my Ohio CCW for roughly 8 years.
Issue I have is I know marijuana is an automatic deal breaker and that's fine. I was diagnosed with cancer and they just prescribed a synthetic called Marinol ie Dronabinol, for nausea and appetite. It's been fda approved since the mid 80s. I just don't want to get in trouble for taking it. I'm to pretty for jail.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Question or recommendations

Post by Javelin Man »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to hear of the cancer. :(

It's beyond my paygrade to comment on something I know nothing about so I'll let smarter folk pipe in. I'm assuming your prescribed medication is not marijuana-laced or anything of that sort?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I can't help the OP either but,Marinol is the brand name for a synthetic form of THC.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Nacona

Post by Nacona »

Correct it is a synthetic THC. However had been dress approved since I think 1985. That is my fiberboard I know "Medical marijuana" is a no no. And I'm ok with that. I smoked my share back in the day.
The drug is specifically to constantly the nausea and symptoms. Just can't find any resource on Atf or state pages to are of they consider it the same.
Nacona

Post by Nacona »

Yep it's synthetic THC. But was FDA approved mid 80s. Not finding anything on Ohio or ATF. Sites either way if it's considered the same.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

The main problem with marijuana is that the feds still consider it an illegal drug and a controlled substance. In their eyes you cannot be a lawful user of it, so you must answer Yes to question 11e on Form 4473, which will prevent the sale.

Even if your drug is a controlled substance, with your prescription you're not an unlawful user of it so you can answer No to that question. So far so good.

The other potential problem you've got is the more complicated problem of how it will affect you. We've hashed this over on this board a few times (link) but a strict reading of the law says that any prescription drug that "adversely affect and appreciably impair" you disqualifies you from carrying a firearm while you're so affected.

Personally I don't think this is controversial. If someone is taking a drug - whatever it is and whatever they're taking it for - and it negatively affects their judgement and/or mental state, then IMO they shouldn't be carrying a gun, driving, operating heavy machinery, etc.

IMO unload and lock up your guns before you start taking it. You really don't know how it could affect you. It'll probably be fine but better safe than sorry. Give it a couple weeks or whatever your doctor says is the adjustment period. After that, go by how you feel and how your family members tell you you're responding while on it. My 2c.
Nacona

Post by Nacona »

Good advice and thank you. In my head I'm thinking of it as you alcohol. Never drink while carrying. So far the nausea hadn't been bad so it would only be while I'm gone and no intention of going anywhere.

My biggest concern was the the 4473 and long term picture. Even if I only needed the medicine for a year I don't want to be black listed forever.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:The main problem with marijuana is that the feds still consider it an illegal drug and a controlled substance. In their eyes you cannot be a lawful user of it, so you must answer Yes to question 11e on Form 4473, which will prevent the sale.
Except the question was about Marinol, which is not Marijuana, or even medical Marijuana. Marinol is a perfectly legal drug at the federal level, and approved by the FDA for certain conditions as described by the OP, while marijuana (even medical marijuana) is not.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Nacona wrote:Good advice and thank you. In my head I'm thinking of it as you alcohol. Never drink while carrying. So far the nausea hadn't been bad so it would only be while I'm gone and no intention of going anywhere.

My biggest concern was the the 4473 and long term picture. Even if I only needed the medicine for a year I don't want to be black listed forever.
Why should you be blacklisted at all? The 4473 does not ask (last time I saw one) about Marinol. Marinol is NOT marijuana, medical or otherwise. Marinol, with a prescription, is legal at the federal level.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

M-Quigley wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:The main problem with marijuana is that the feds still consider it an illegal drug and a controlled substance. In their eyes you cannot be a lawful user of it, so you must answer Yes to question 11e on Form 4473, which will prevent the sale.
Except the question was about Marinol, which is not Marijuana, or even medical Marijuana. Marinol is a perfectly legal drug at the federal level, and approved by the FDA for certain conditions as described by the OP, while marijuana (even medical marijuana) is not.
Yes very good. That's exactly what I was saying.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

I would suggest you contact the Attny Gen's office
God made man, Colt made them equal
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

AzRanger wrote:I would suggest you contact the Attny Gen's office
And be told by them that they only answer legal questions for State and Local government .
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
ORSalesRep

Post by ORSalesRep »

Very sorry to hear about your cancer and wishing you all the best, as well as a full, speedy recovery. As far as the synthetic THC, I'm pretty sure that as wrong as the rules are on this that it is a substance prohibiting firearm ownership regardless of the prescription. Firearm ownership is regulated at the federal level and although many states have legalized medical marijuana use, it is still illegal at the federal level. The Trump administration has been talking about legalizing marijuana and if this ever happens, then this ridiculous contradiction will not longer be an issue for law abiding citizens like yourself. That said, IANAL and could very well be incorrect on this, but my logic regarding such governmental illogical nonsense, seems to make sense.
Regards,
Steve B.