No background check CCW

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

No background check CCW

Post by AzRanger »

I recently bought a Ruger Mark IV at a gun show. I filled out the 4473 but he didn't have to call it in since I just renewed my CCW license a couple months ago.

SWEET!!!!
God made man, Colt made them equal
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: No background check CCW

Post by djmac1964 »

Just keep in mind that it is completely up to the dealer whether or not they use your NICS compliant CHL in place of calling in the NICS check. Nothing in the law says they have to use it. :wink:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

AzRanger wrote:I recently bought a Ruger Mark IV at a gun show. I filled out the 4473 but he didn't have to call it in since I just renewed my CCW license a couple months ago.

SWEET!!!!
Good 4 U :D ! !

Private seller fellers have been using the ''show your CHL'' as a condition of sale for years now. 'Bout time the state caught up to modern times
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:
AzRanger wrote:I recently bought a Ruger Mark IV at a gun show. I filled out the 4473 but he didn't have to call it in since I just renewed my CCW license a couple months ago.

SWEET!!!!
Good 4 U :D ! !

Private seller fellers have been using the ''show your CHL'' as a condition of sale for years now. 'Bout time the state caught up to modern times
It wasn't really the state, it was the ATF rules that the state had to comply with before an FFL could use the CHL in lieu of callin in the background check - which is why Ohio now does a NICS check when you apply for your CHL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glove

Post by glove »

It wasn't really the state, it was the ATF rules that the state had to comply with before an FFL could use the CHL in lieu of callin in the background check - which is why Ohio now does a NICS check when you apply for your CHL.

So if you get a delay through NICS on hand gun purchase then the FFL call the next day and says pick up your gun. Will you also get a delay when you renew your CCW? Will the Sheriff's office call the next day and say pick up your CCW?
NRA Life Member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Member 72-75
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

What was the date that law became active?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cruiser wrote:What was the date that law became active?
Any CHL issued or renewed March 23, 2015 or later can be used (at the dealer's discretion) to bypass the NICS check.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

glove wrote:So if you get a delay through NICS on hand gun purchase then the FFL call the next day and says pick up your gun. Will you also get a delay when you renew your CCW? Will the Sheriff's office call the next day and say pick up your CCW?
Yes, I imagine they would wait for the "Proceed" notification before issuing the license.
NRA Life Member

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:
glove wrote:So if you get a delay through NICS on hand gun purchase then the FFL call the next day and says pick up your gun. Will you also get a delay when you renew your CCW? Will the Sheriff's office call the next day and say pick up your CCW?
Yes, I imagine they would wait for the "Proceed" notification before issuing the license.
Technically no. FFLs use NICS which is essentially a front end to NCIC (and two other databases) and it only returns the three statuses we all know and love. On the other hand, law enforcement uses NCIC more or less directly.

Anyway, what the sheriff will get is the person's full history through NCIC. He, or more precisely, his clerk or deputy, will pick through the results to see if there is anything disqualifying. Sometimes a record will indicate the person is prohibited from possessing a firearm, but that's almost always in conjunction with a protection order. A guy could have a conviction for murder and a query won't bring back a red alert saying not allowed to own guns or anything. It'll just bring down the basics of the case: jurisdiction, charge(s), dates, case numbers, etc. If you're lucky it will have the disposition.

Jedi is far more familiar with querying NCIC than I am and can probably provide greater detail. I think there may be an option to run a straight up NICS query, but if you get a deny or delay you're going to have to run the full query anyway to be able to justify the denial of the CHL.

Anyway, NCIC != NICS.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

JustaShooter wrote:
Cruiser wrote:What was the date that law became active?
Any CHL issued or renewed March 23, 2015 or later can be used (at the dealer's discretion) to bypass the NICS check.
Tells you how long since i bought a gun! Thanks
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Technically no. FFLs use NICS which is essentially a front end to NCIC (and two other databases) and it only returns the three statuses we all know and love. On the other hand, law enforcement uses NCIC more or less directly.
Interesting. The way the change to the law read, I thought they used a simple NICS check.
NRA Life Member

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

One possible reason for delay on NICS could come from the buyer not providing SSN. No such issue with the CHL records check maybe. Might eliminate some delays.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

It is now simple and quick to by from a dealer if they know you....I bought last week and forgot about the new law and questioned why no check....

They told me I was Charming and didn't need to do one.. :D
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

carmen fovozzo wrote:They told me I was Charming and didn't need to do one.. :D
That was just them making you feel better Carmen, there profit margine Trumps your misconception of their feelings. :lol:

All kiding aside last week the same thing hapened to me, went into local FFL to pick up a arrival filled out paperwork we stood there & BS for a bit as he set my form to the side.
BOB
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It is now simple and quick to by from a dealer if they know you....I bought last week and forgot about the new law and questioned why no check....

They told me I was Charming and didn't need to do one.. :D
:roll: More like get you out the door as soon as possible. :P
Black Rifles Matter