2 job interviews in WI, MUST drive through IL

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MacDonald

2 job interviews in WI, MUST drive through IL

Post by MacDonald »

I have two job interviews coming up in Wisconsin (WI). WI govt pays best in my field compared to other states, plus my fiancée lives there.

The problem is, I need to drive through IL for the interviews and the eventual relocation.

I know under Federal law I can legally drive through a state with guns in my car as long as I do not stop in that state. I have a gun collection in the two digit realm that starts with a 3x.

Does anyone have experience with IL and how close they follow Federal law? Am I shooting myself in the foot by going through there?
Last edited by MacDonald on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
AlanM

Re: 2 job interviews in WI, MUST drive through IL

Post by AlanM »

Have your guns stored IAW federal law.
Buy gas in Indiana, make sure you vehicle is in good repair and your tires are trustworthy.
Stay on the interstates and DON'T STOP for anything other than a dire emergency.
Don't speed or do anything to cause an LEO to pull you over.
When you cross the Wisconsin line pull over, get out of your vehicle, get down on you knees, kiss the ground, and thank the deity of your choice.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

When I drove through IL I had my EDC broken down in one vault, slide and mag in another vault, and ammo in another vault. I was paranoid.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

AlanM wrote:Have your guns stored IAW federal law.
AlanM, can you please translate? What's IAW?
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

rimfireOH wrote: What's IAW?
In agreement with
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Buy gas in Indiana, make sure you vehicle is in good repair and your tires are trustworthy.
Stay on the interstates and DON'T STOP for anything other than a dire emergency.
When you cross the Wisconsin line pull over, get out of your vehicle, get down on you knees, kiss the ground, and thank the deity of your choice.

I LIKE IT!!

But, just suppose that I was pulled over when transporting my collection...with 3x guns (shotguns, rifles, and pistols) what am I looking at?
I am certain it would ruin my day...
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

MacDonald wrote:

I LIKE IT!!

But, just suppose that I was pulled over when transporting my collection...with 3x guns (shotguns, rifles, and pistols) what am I looking at?
I am certain it would ruin my day...
It would be cheaper to just drive around the state imo to lose all those guns. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

It is no longer necessary to avoid IL or transport through according to the Federal FOPA guidelines. Per IL law, any person with a license from their state of residence can carry concealed *in their vehicle* in the state of IL. If you exit the vehicle, the handgun must either remain in the vehicle (and if you leave the vehicle unattended, you must lock the vehicle) or you must unload and put the handgun in a case (say, to transport it into a hotel room, etc.)

See http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/docume ... 660K40.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
430 ILCS 66/40

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

If transporting 30+ firearms, I would attempt to do so in locked containers as much as possible and certainly not visibly obvious. This applies in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin.

In Illinois, you can carry a loaded handgun on your person or in your vehicle as long as you have your Ohio CHL with you, but you cannot exit the vehicle with it - you must leave it in the vehicle. This could be a problem is stopped by the police and asked to exit the vehicle, especially since you don't want to be reaching for the gun with a LEO standing there. Ask for instructions at that point or just travel through that state with it in the console or glovebox.

Southern Illinois is more easy going on guns than northern Illinois, it might behoove you to choose a more southern route and go up to Eau Claire rather than the northern route around Chicago. Chicago is always a good place not to be.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

kcclark wrote:
rimfireOH wrote: What's IAW?
In agreement with
Close, In Accordance With.
AlanM
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Something else just occurred to me.
If you are transporting a large number of firearms, even in locked boxes, I suggest you have some verifiable documentation that all of them have been your property of quite some time.
Insurance polices with serial numbers that date back a reasonable period, bills of sale, etc.

I shudder to think what your life would be like if you were arrested for gun running in Crook, err, Cook County.
AlanM
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

Drive up into Michigan and take the ferry over - it will be an awesome trip.
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.