CCW in a vehicle?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

David.serwatka

CCW in a vehicle?

Post by David.serwatka »

If I have my CCW, can I carry my pistol in a holster attached the underside of my dashboard? It would be in plain sight.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CCW in a vehicle?

Post by djmac1964 »

If you have your CHL, there are no restrictions on how you can carry your pistol in a vehicle.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
DLH

Post by DLH »

Is there some where I can download this part of the law? I just had a short talk with a LEO, and he said The ONLY way I can carry in a car is Concealed, No open carry Not even with a CCW! I contacted Mike DeWine's office about it and received NO reply????? The LEO had an app that he consulted BOC I think?? but the app was also wrong about Class D establishments. It Flat out said NO CCW in a class D places???
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The law seldom tells you what you CAN do. It just tells you what you can NOT do.

With a CHL, there are no laws that control HOW a loaded handgun must be carried while IN or ON a vehicle.

WITHOUT a CHL, there are such laws.

There are also such laws for long guns.

R.C. 2923.16 (F)(5)(a) contains the closest thing you'll find to what you're seeking.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Funny that the LEO would say that, especially since the law *used* to read that it had to be holstered, on your person, in plain view, when carrying in a motor vehicle. That part of the law was removed so there are currently no restrictions on carrying a handgun in a vehicle with a CHL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DLH

Post by DLH »

The LEO didn't remember how it was when the CCW was started? But then he is from Wellsville?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

DLH wrote:Is there some where I can download this part of the law? I just had a short talk with a LEO, and he said The ONLY way I can carry in a car is Concealed, No open carry Not even with a CCW! I contacted Mike DeWine's office about it and received NO reply????? The LEO had an app that he consulted BOC I think?? but the app was also wrong about Class D establishments. It Flat out said NO CCW in a class D places???
The quickest way to get bad legal advice is to ask a cop.

Read the CCW pamphlet or ask a lawyer.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

deanimator wrote:
DLH wrote:Is there some where I can download this part of the law? I just had a short talk with a LEO, and he said The ONLY way I can carry in a car is Concealed, No open carry Not even with a CCW! I contacted Mike DeWine's office about it and received NO reply????? The LEO had an app that he consulted BOC I think?? but the app was also wrong about Class D establishments. It Flat out said NO CCW in a class D places???
The quickest way to get bad legal advice is to ask a cop.

Read the CCW pamphlet or ask a lawyer.
We are required to know every law,... the police the one's that have to enforce it not so much. :roll:
Black Rifles Matter
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The information is buried in the very convoluted text of ORC 2923.16

Divisions B and C:
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
(5) Divisions (B) and (C) of this section do not apply to a person who transports or possesses a handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, both of the following apply:

(a) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is either carrying a valid concealed handgun license or is an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(b) The person transporting or possessing the handgun is not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.
Any mention of CHL holders having to have their firearm on them and readily visible was deleted from the ORC nearly 10 years ago.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The Attorney General's office does not give answers to legal questions, to individuals. That's also part of either the Ohio Revised Code, or Ohio Administrative Code.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.