Cleveland zoo

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

747tech

Cleveland zoo

Post by 747tech »

Didn't see anything on a search. The Cleveland zoo's rules state the following:

Concealed Carry Permit Holders: Pursuant to ORC Section 2923.126, weapons are NOT permitted in any of the buildings or on Cleveland Metroparks Zoo grounds, and there is no place to store weapons on Zoo grounds. It is recommended that weapons be lawfully stored in a locked compartment or locked container within vehicles.

I thought metro parks couldn't prohibit carry. I get the buildings thing but the grounds themselves?
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
JonasM

Re: Cleveland zoo

Post by JonasM »

I don't have an answer for you, but count me among those surprised that they even acknowledge car storage as a viable option.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

My understanding is the grounds themselves are not prohibited.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Why are county fairs and zoo's such a pain to figure out if you can or can't carry! GRRRRR
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
Range Safety Officer
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

747tech wrote:Why are county fairs and zoo's such a pain to figure out if you can or can't carry! GRRRRR
Because figuring out who owns AND runs then is such a pain. We have intermingled public vs private way to much. For example...

If it's owned by a school, it's a school zone 24/7/365. If it's owned by someone else and operated/overseen by a school board, it's a school zone only when school zone activities are taking place.

If it's private property, they can chose either way.

If it's government property, and run by the government, they can only post buildings. If it's government property and run/leased by a private entity, they can post anything.

Your list shouldn't just pertain to fairs and zoos, but should be...

Questionable Carry Zones
Fairs
Zoos
Churches (run in what appears to be a school building)
Colleges (renting out private building space)
Private park events (for example Taste of Cincinnati vs Bunburry Music Festival)

If we could only pass a law that says once it's government owned, no matter who runs it, it cannot be posted, we would have some success. :wink:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I'm not sure why Cleveland Metroparks would treat the zoo any differently than any of its other properties. Their parks have never been posted since concealed carry became law in 2004. The one time I notified a ranger while on by bicycle after he stopped me, he didn't blink an eye.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

The zoo grounds are not posted, at least the last time I was there.
But the buildings were, so stay out of the rain forest and gift shops and what not.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

So it looks as if they prohibit on the interwebs but don't post on the actual property? Nothing in the ORC indicates websites are considered legal notice. Enjoy the monkeys and don't fall into the lion area....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Went today. Entrance to park was clearly posted.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
Range Safety Officer
Wiz458

Post by Wiz458 »

The wife and I went to the lantern fest tonight.
They have a sign by the main entrance with the No Guns graphic, but it also reads "Pursuant to ORC Section 2923.126, CCW permit holders may NOT carry a weapon in any Zoo building that is not a restroom or shelter."
I took a photo of the sign, but I have no idea how to share that.
Wiz
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've come to believe that the zookeepers truly fear a CHL holder shooting the animals. Nothing else explains their level of stupidity on the subject.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Brian D. wrote:I've come to believe that the zookeepers truly fear a CHL holder shooting the animals. Nothing else explains their level of stupidity on the subject.
I am trying to wrap my head around just why anyone with enough active brain cells to obtain a CHL would go into a zoo and shoot the animals.

Nope. Just can't do it. :roll:
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member