University Off-campus Properties

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

PelegW1969
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

University Off-campus Properties

Post by PelegW1969 »

Hello, everyone.

Please let me know if this post is not in the right area. There are so many areas to which this could be posted.

Anyhow, this is my situation. I work for a local university. I know the general laws concerning universities for CCW. However, I have recently volunteered to watch over the various sites within Ohio that the university governs. Some of these sites have not been visited in decades.

I have read the university policies but have not found anything that specifically says that I cannot carry on those said properties. I have read that they have signs posted for “No Hunting”, however.

Getting directly to my question, does anyone know if there is a law that will not allow me to carry on these lands? My thoughts are that, if these properties haven’t been visited in years, what are the situations that I could encounter? I want to make sure that I am protected. Some of these properties are many acres. The last thing I want to run into are poachers, although this time of year is probably not a big issue, but I wonder if there other illegal activities happening.

Anyone want to help? Any constructive comments/suggestions welcomed.

Thank you!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: University Off-campus Properties

Post by JustaShooter »

As I read Ohio law, it doesn't matter how recently, if ever, the properties have been used or visited. Per Ohio law you cannot carry concealed on "Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education" except in your vehicle. However, you *can* open carry on property owned by public colleges and universities...

Now, as an employee of the university you may be subject to other restrictions so be aware that you may be risking your job if you are found to be carrying on the property.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

So if I read this correctly, and it's what I thought it was; OSU cannot post their woods & wild fields properties, at road's edge, with 'no firearms allowed' type signs :?:
Not 'no CHL' , but 'no firearms allowed beyond this point' total prohibition-style postings
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:So if I read this correctly, and it's what I thought it was; OSU cannot post their woods & wild fields properties, at road's edge, with 'no firearms allowed' type signs :?:
Not 'no CHL' , but 'no firearms allowed beyond this point' total prohibition-style postings
I agree, as a public college or university they technically can't post a general prohibition against firearms, only concealed handguns for those types of properties. Buildings, on the other hand, are considered government facilities so must post the statutory signage.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
PelegW1969
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by PelegW1969 »

Thank you for the responses.
So if I read this correctly, and it's what I thought it was; OSU cannot post their woods & wild fields properties, at road's edge, with 'no firearms allowed' type signs :?:

That's the reason I posted the question. From what I have read, there are no specific university regulations, other than Ohio laws governing CCW and universities, when I was hired in last December: There is nothing in my paperwork that I signed that stipulates anything in addition to Ohio laws about carrying.

I know it is a very touchy subject carrying on university property, which I do know those laws. Aside from that, I could ask my superiors, but that can be a double-edged sword. Meaning, I could ask to clarify specific university rules with the university admin in order to cover my butt, however, if I ask, will that put me on someone's radar? In that case, did I just put my job in jeopardy?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

PelegW1969 wrote:if I ask, will that put me on someone's radar? In that case, did I just put my job in jeopardy?
Yes, and yes.

Even without a rule against it for faculty and staff you would do exactly as you suggest if you for a clarification - unless you come up with a clever way to ask that made it seem like you were worried about someone else doing it...
NRA Life Member

PelegW1969
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by PelegW1969 »

Thank you, again, for the responses.

Sigh. Much to consider...

This forum is a great resource. Keep up the good work!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

You are welcome - and thank *you* for supporting us as a Patron member!
NRA Life Member