keep and bear near a federal protectee

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slidelock

keep and bear near a federal protectee

Post by slidelock »

So the Secret Service is prohibiting anyone armed from attending the event where President Trump speaks at the NRA, claiming there are laws that prevent that. Anyone have any idea what federal statute that is? I wasn't aware there were any statutes about that. If I werent going to be on the road this week, I would call the Secret Service PAO and ask them. I probably will do that next week.
JediSkipdogg

Re: keep and bear near a federal protectee

Post by JediSkipdogg »

slidelock wrote:So the Secret Service is prohibiting anyone armed from attending the event where President Trump speaks at the NRA, claiming there are laws that prevent that. Anyone have any idea what federal statute that is? I wasn't aware there were any statutes about that. If I werent going to be on the road this week, I would call the Secret Service PAO and ask them. I probably will do that next week.
There are ones that wherever the president is is automatically a gun free zone. It has been that way every NRA convention and comes up every year a president or vice president speaks at the NRA convention. Or even a former one at that. Nothing new here.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

They're going to tell you some form of this statement: "Title 18 United States Code Sections 3056 and 1752 provides the Secret Service authority to preclude firearms from entering sites visited by our protectees"

This isn't news. They've been giving that explanation for years. Usually in advance of each NRA meeting and Republican nominating convention.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Thats their story and their sticking to it. I was looking for the actual federal statute. It might be interesting to see what it says.
ruger

Post by ruger »

The code sections cited above ARE the actual statutory authority. Under 18 USC 1752, any building in which the president or vice-president (or any other protectee) temporarily visits while under the protection of the USSS automatically becomes a restricted building or grounds, just like a federal courthouse or other federal no gun zone.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Ah many thanks! I've been wondering about that for some time. Thanks again.