Transporting a loaded magazine in a vehicle without CHL

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tunnelvision

Transporting a loaded magazine in a vehicle without CHL

Post by tunnelvision »

Hi everyone,

New to CHL and first post here. I haven't seen this specific question asked here, and please forgive me if I missed it.

I conceal carry but my wife does not have a CHL (she's not a gun person and doesn't plan on carrying). Typically my wife will use my car to run errands. I never leave my firearm there, I always bring it in the house and carry on me. My question is about a spare magazine that I keep in the center console of my car. I always keep a loaded spare magazine there. Is it in any way illegal for her to transport a loaded magazine in that location of the vehicle, without the actual firearm in the car?

I suppose I could boil my question down to - is it legal for a person without CHL to transport a loaded magazine inside a vehicle? Again, no actual firearm is present.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Transporting a loaded magazine in a vehicle without CHL

Post by JustaShooter »

Perfectly legal in Ohio.

And, welcome to the OFCC forums!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Col Duke

Post by Col Duke »

JustaShooter wrote:Perfectly legal in Ohio.

And, welcome to the OFCC forums!
Legal yes, but I would bet there is a fair chance the driver of the car will be hassled and maybe the car searched if the mag is seen during a traffic stop. The odds of this happening probably increase if the LEO is OSHP.
tunnelvision

Post by tunnelvision »

Col Duke wrote:
Legal yes, but I would bet there is a fair chance the driver of the car will be hassled and maybe the car searched if the mag is seen during a traffic stop. The odds of this happening probably increase if the LEO is OSHP.
Thank you, good point. I purposely placed it in the center console where there are no documents or any other reason to open it during a traffic stop, so odds of that mag being seen during a traffic stop are slim to none. But point taken. I've already instructed my wife to just politely inform the officer that she's driving a vehicle that's registered to a CHL holder and there are no firearms present.
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

I had my wife get her license even though she does not carry just to be safe.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

k3m1c6 wrote:I had my wife get her license even though she does not carry just to be safe.
Never a bad idea.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB