Length of CHL Expiration

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jhouse72

Length of CHL Expiration

Post by jhouse72 »

My OH license expired in 2014, can I still renew it or has too much time passed?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Length of CHL Expiration

Post by JustaShooter »

Yes you can, there is no restriction on how long after expiration you can renew. Some counties may ask for the expired license itself, so if you don't still have it you might check to make sure the county you plan on applying doesn't do so (and, I might add, there is nothing in Ohio law that I can find that lets them require it, so...)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Well that brings up more questions. How long after expiration is your CHL information purged from LEADS? Or is it?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

There is no time limit, as far as I know, in the ORC.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pirateguy191 wrote:There is no time limit, as far as I know, in the ORC.
Correct and I can attest nothing is ever purged. I've seen CHLs that were issued back in 2004 and never renewed and still in the system.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

jhouse72 wrote:My OH license expired in 2014, can I still renew it or has too much time passed?
When did you stop carrying?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Correct and I can attest nothing is ever purged. I've seen CHLs that were issued back in 2004 and never renewed and still in the system.
Quite true. At least once a shift I see a STATUS/EXPIRED DATE OF ISSUE/2004MMDD DATE OF EXPIRE/2008MMDD go by. The only exception might be if you renew in a different county. However I have seen people with multiple CHLs come back on a query. The first one is expired and the second one is valid starting around the expiration of the first but issued by a different county. That's pretty rare though which makes me think if you go to another county theyr'e supposed to remove the original record.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

djthomas wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Correct and I can attest nothing is ever purged. I've seen CHLs that were issued back in 2004 and never renewed and still in the system.
Quite true. At least once a shift I see a STATUS/EXPIRED DATE OF ISSUE/2004MMDD DATE OF EXPIRE/2008MMDD go by. The only exception might be if you renew in a different county. However I have seen people with multiple CHLs come back on a query. The first one is expired and the second one is valid starting around the expiration of the first but issued by a different county. That's pretty rare though which makes me think if you go to another county theyr'e supposed to remove the original record.
But only the entering agency can remove a record. So to me, if I renew in Warren County (where I plan on this year) then they would have to notify Clermont County to remove their record. And anyone in law enforcement knows that's not going to happen on a regular basis.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Then I wonder, can a person legally carry a concealed handgun during the 30-day grace period after the expiration date? One might wonder too if they could carry concealed in Ohio with their issued, current PA license?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

weakhand luke wrote:Then I wonder, can a person legally carry a concealed handgun during the 30-day grace period after the expiration date? One might wonder too if they could carry concealed in Ohio with their issued, current PA license?
Yes to both. I disagree with the first and think it should be removed from Ohio law, but it's in there. Years, if not a decade or more ago, the BMV changed everything to expire on your birthday instead of the end of the month. Having that grace period basically says your license is expired, but wait, not really expired. So now we expect a police officer to know that the expiration date is really not the expiration date and it should be 30 days past that. So, why even have it and not just make the expiration 30 more days later? It's illogical and pointless.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
weakhand luke wrote:Then I wonder, can a person legally carry a concealed handgun during the 30-day grace period after the expiration date? One might wonder too if they could carry concealed in Ohio with their issued, current PA license?
Yes to both.
I don't believe the second is correct since we do not have a reciprocity agreement with PA. As an Ohio resident for more than 6 months, I believe a reciprocity agreement is required before you can carry on an out-of-state license.

From 109.69 (B) (2)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(Emphasis mine.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
Yes to both.
I don't believe the second is correct since we do not have a reciprocity agreement with PA. As an Ohio resident for more than 6 months, I believe a reciprocity agreement is required before you can carry on an out-of-state license.

From 109.69 (B) (2)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(Emphasis mine.)
My bad, didn't realized we didn't have written reciprocity with PA.

chaos321

Post by chaos321 »

Every reciprocity map i pull up says PA accepts our CCW?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

chaos321 wrote:Every reciprocity map i pull up says PA accepts our CCW?
They do. PA is like Ohio that accepts nearly anyone meeting certain requirements. That only grants reciprocity for a resident of that state though. Once you move into Ohio, unless we have a written agreement, your other states residents CHL will expire after a certain time, six months.

Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:They do. PA is like Ohio that accepts nearly anyone meeting certain requirements. That only grants reciprocity for a resident of that state though. Once you move into Ohio, unless we have a written agreement, your other states residents CHL will expire after a certain time, six months.

I had a Florida CHL just for the purpose of carrying in PA. But when they realized all these people were circumventing Philadelphia's own "laws" they

canceled non-resident license privileges. I got a PA non-resident license after that, but it seems like a mute point now. Doubt I renew.