State of residence vs state of issue?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jhouse72

State of residence vs state of issue?

Post by jhouse72 »

I lived in Ohio and had a valid CHL. I moved to Florida, got my FL CHL, but have moved back to Ohio. Is my FL CHL valid/recognized now that I'm an Ohio resident again?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: State of residence vs state of issue?

Post by JustaShooter »

Yes. Ohio allows residents to carry on the license of a state with which we have a reciprocity agreement, and since Ohio has a written agreement with Florida an Ohio resident can carry here on a FL license.

BTW, there are benefits to having a license issued by your state of residence, not the least of which is the exception to the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act, so you may want to consider renewing your Ohio license. If you still have the actual license, even if expired, you can simply renew it for a $50 renewal fee.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jhouse72

Post by jhouse72 »

Will do, thank you!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

MI does not recognize your FL license if you are now an OH resident, MI is not the only state either but MI is our closest neighbor that does not recognize non resident CCW.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

willbird wrote:MI does not recognize your FL license if you are now an OH resident, MI is not the only state either but MI is our closest neighbor that does not recognize non resident CCW.
PA also does not, nor does SC,
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:
willbird wrote:MI does not recognize your FL license if you are now an OH resident, MI is not the only state either but MI is our closest neighbor that does not recognize non resident CCW.
PA also does not, nor does SC,
MI stands out more because it is 15 mil or less from where I type ;-).

good info on the others though.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
jhouse72

Post by jhouse72 »

My OH license expired in 2014, can I still renew it or has too much time passed?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jhouse72 wrote:My OH license expired in 2014, can I still renew it or has too much time passed?
Yes you can, see my reply to your other post for a bit more detail.
NRA Life Member

Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

To take the original posters question a little further, since he lived in FL, I would assume that he was issued a resident CHL. Since the FL non-resident CHL is the same facial license, he may still be good in OH. However, since he is no longer a resident of FL, is the FL license still good?

Let's clean this up a little. Suppose a resident of SC, with a valid SC - CHL, moves to OH and establishes residency. He would be good to go with the CHL from SC so long as the SC - CHL is valid. But would it still be valid since he no longer resides in SC?

To repeat the suggestions of other posters here, it is a simple matter to take the OH - CHL class and get an OH license. Why try to save the $67 and risk a lot of potential legal hassle.
Stay safe; Check 360
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Roller wrote: Suppose a resident of SC, with a valid SC - CHL, moves to OH and establishes residency. He would be good to go with the CHL from SC so long as the SC - CHL is valid. But would it still be valid since he no longer resides in SC?
As always, such things depend on the laws of the state that issued the license / permit. In the case of SC, the answer is no, it would not be valid once the permittee establishes residency in another state. From the SC State CWP FAQ:
Q: I have a South Carolina CWP and have moved out of state. What do I need to do?
A: In accordance with state law, you must surrender your permit to SLED. You may send it to SLED CWP, PO Box 21398, Columbia, SC 29221. Please include a note indicating you have moved out of the state, and SLED will update your information accordingly.
NRA Life Member

Raze23

Post by Raze23 »

Did they pass a law saying that you must have a license in which the state you reside in? An out of state license for instance, even with reciprocity isn't recognized for everyday carry if you live in a different state?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Raze23 wrote:Did they pass a law saying that you must have a license in which the state you reside in? An out of state license for instance, even with reciprocity isn't recognized for everyday carry if you live in a different state?
No. Some states do not recognize non-resident licenses, but most do. And, some states' licenses become invalidated when you move to another state. So, it really depends on the laws of the states involved.

As for Ohio, you can carry in Ohio as an Ohio resident on a non-resident license from any state we have a reciprocity agreement with, like Florida.
NRA Life Member