Campus Carry Questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GlockBlue

Campus Carry Questions

Post by GlockBlue »

So I’ve been told that the penalty for carrying on a college campus has been reduced to a misdemeanor, not a felony like it used to be. I haven’t been able to find this written in law, I’ve just saw news articles and what not about it. Does anyone know what the true ruling is on this? I know the school can expel you yadda yadda but what is the charge if you forgot you had your weapon on you and for some reason got caught.

Thanks!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Campus Carry Questions

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Um, no?

Open carry of firearms on the open areas of a public college campus is allowed.

Any carry INTO a building on a public college campus OR onto a private college campus that does not permit firearms is still a felony.

As of March, 2017 colleges simply have the option of allowing firearms. I don't know of any that have decided to do so.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Actually, MYSY, Ohio law did change recently with respect to concealed carry on campus grounds (though not in buildings as you mentioned). Concealed carry on the property of an institution of higher learning that does not allow concealed carry by adopting a rule or policy now carries a tiered penalty. As I understand it, this is the new penalty structure:

If you are caught carrying a concealed handgun and have a CHL, and have not been found or plead guilty of carrying a concealed handgun before (for any reason, not just a college campus), it is a minor misdemeanor.

If you have been found or plead guilty of carrying a concealed handgun once before, it is an M4.

If twice before, it is an M3.

Then if that wasn't complicated enough, it gets better: If 3 times before, *or* you've been convicted of or pleaded guilty to *any* offense of violence and if the weapon involved is a loaded firearm (or you have ammunition ready at hand) or if the weapon involved is a dangerous ordnance, it is an M2.

Clear as mud? Yeah.

Here's how that works in Ohio law:

First, look to ORC 2923.126 which says in section (B)(5):

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle or unless the licensee is carrying the concealed handgun pursuant to a written policy, rule, or other authorization that is adopted by the institution's board of trustees or other governing body and that authorizes specific individuals or classes of individuals to carry a concealed handgun on the premises;
Then in ORC 2923.12 (F)(7) it lays out the penalties:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(7) If a person being arrested for a violation of division (A)(2) of this section is knowingly in a place described in division (B)(5) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code and is not authorized to carry a handgun or have a handgun concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand under that division, the penalty shall be as follows:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the person produces a valid concealed handgun license within ten days after the arrest and has not previously been convicted or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (A)(2) of this section, the person is guilty of a minor misdemeanor;

(b) Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the person has previously been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (A)(2) of this section, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree;

(c) Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the person has previously been convicted of or pleaded guilty to two violations of division (A)(2) of this section, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree;

(d) Except as otherwise provided in this division, if the person has previously been convicted of or pleaded guilty to three or more violations of division (A)(2) of this section, or convicted of or pleaded guilty to any offense of violence, if the weapon involved is a firearm that is either loaded or for which the offender has ammunition ready at hand, or if the weapon involved is a dangerous ordnance, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
GlockBlue

Post by GlockBlue »

Yea the law is confusing, I guess it’s nice that it’s no longer a felony but would rather it just be decriminalized.... Cedarville University allows ccw I believe. It says only staff, faculty but I think their is an understanding that students will too.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter is correct. But what a muddled mess of a law that still is!

And I bet if you asked our Ohio Representatives and Senators about lawful campus carry, many of them would say "We already FIXED that for you, stop griping!"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Any carry INTO a building on a public college campus OR onto a private college campus that does not permit firearms is still a felony.
I haven't bothered to research this in a while, but how does open carry on a private college campus constitute a felony?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

The new law isn't complicated at all, you just need to know the code. It goes like this;
1st letter of 1st word in line one
2nd letter of 1st word in line two. **This trips ppl up, they think it's 2nd letter of 2nd word line two
3rd letter of 1rd word in line three.
And so on.

It all spells, '' we are attornies here in the congress. we write this so difficult that you must consult with attorney to understand. We WILL make our $.''

Anything over 1 page has an added 1 letter shift- secondary code that spells out ''YOU MUST VOTE FOR ME''

See? Now weird writs like, ''you can carry this way here, but not there, unless you are an employee of over there'' makes sense. :mrgreen:

More 1st-2nd cup o coffee /am humor :mrgreen:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good