Carry in an automobile??

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

westsidedirty

Carry in an automobile??

Post by westsidedirty »

I received my CCW a few months back and I was wondering how you carry in Ohio in your car. I carry via IWB located near my back. It's not very comfortable or accessible while sitting in my car. Ohio law states:

Ohio requires a valid CHL in order to have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. If you have a CHL, a loaded firearm must be transported in one of the following ways:

In a holster secured on the person.
In a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun
The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or center console, or in a case that is locked. A locked case does not need to be in plain sight (an unlocked case does).
I've been taking my gun out of the holster and putting it in my center cup holder and by Ohio law this is not legal.
Suggestions??
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Carry in an automobile??

Post by Chuck »

May I ask where you got that quote, exactly?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Chuck wrote:May I ask where you got that quote, exactly?
There's at least one site that still has the outdated language:

https://www.phaselinedefense.com/ohio-c ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some of the news outlets have point-in-time mentions of the laws as they existed:
Example: http://www.cantonrep.com/x1404217981/Co ... imitations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

The reason why others are asking the source of your quote is simple - it is no longer the law in Ohio that you must carry your handgun in any particular way or fashion so long as you have a valid CHL. As such, carrying in your cup holder is perfectly legal in Ohio, though perhaps not recommended.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

sodbuster95 wrote:it is no longer the law in Ohio that you must carry your handgun in any particular way or fashion so long as you have a valid CHL.
I (re)took a class with my just-21 son last fall where the instructor insisted that the laws hadn't changed. So, I'm certain the outdated laws are still out there.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Please inform your/his instructor that they are wrong.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

rimfireOH wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:it is no longer the law in Ohio that you must carry your handgun in any particular way or fashion so long as you have a valid CHL.
I (re)took a class with my just-21 son last fall where the instructor insisted that the laws hadn't changed. So, I'm certain the outdated laws are still out there.
It's more like outdated instructors. They do exist.

By the way, I posted this same quote earlier and it seems to have disappeared. A computer glitch, or did I step over some line and get myself moderated?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

In my pocket, in my holster, glove compartment, the side door, the console. Weather and what I am wearing seems to dictate.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

pirateguy191 wrote:Please inform your/his instructor that they are wrong.
Yes, we had a separate conversation during which I convinced him that it was his job to stay pretty current with the laws.
Brian D. wrote:By the way, I posted this same quote earlier and it seems to have disappeared. A computer glitch, or did I step over some line and get myself moderated?
I saw it, too, but it's not there now. I don't have any super-powers, so it wasn't me.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Ohio Highway Patrol says you can drive while twirling your pistol on your finger.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Brian D. wrote:By the way, I posted this same quote earlier and it seems to have disappeared. A computer glitch, or did I step over some line and get myself moderated?
I just checked the logs, and I can't find where you were moderated, must have been a computer glitch.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852