Will I be arrested in Col.?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

aiformula

Will I be arrested in Col.?

Post by aiformula »

I frequently drive through Columbus to and from friends and customers property. I am almost always armed during these periods. Since my HK runs around w/ 13+1 w/ me, if I am pulled over during a peaceable journey through that town, am I going to jail?
Ring

Post by Ring »

you can only hope... you could make alot of cash from that law suit

but i dont think there that dumb.. if lived down there i would open carry a tek9 just to get the cash
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

aiformula,

I expect that soon the OFCC's lawyers can tell us with a little more detail what the Columbus law could mean for us. Keep watching for info here or on the OFCC website.

Does anyone know when this Columbus law goes into effect? Is it immediate or is there some time delay for compliance? I haven't looked yet. After it goes into effect I would only carry a 10rd mag to be on the safe side, but there have been some interpretations people have made that the Columbus law would outlaw all mag fed semi autos. I hope that is not the case.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Brian_Horton wrote:aiformula,

Does anyone know when this Columbus law goes into effect? Is it immediate or is there some time delay for compliance? I haven't looked yet. After it goes into effect I would only carry a 10rd mag to be on the safe side, but there have been some interpretations people have made that the Columbus law would outlaw all mag fed semi autos. I hope that is not the case.
I was under the impression it hadn't actually passed muster yet. Previous variations were shot down twice by city council. Let's hope this on doesn't pass, and if it does, gets ripped on appeal.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

From what I understood I was lead to believe it would be signed into law in 30 days from yesterday ( 7/11 ) Interesting date isn't it.
jmwildenthal

Should be fine

Post by jmwildenthal »

I used to misunderstand the law, too. The 10 round limit is if the pistol has a fixed magazine (think C96 Mauser that uses a stripper clip). With a removable magazine, you also need to have a shroud, or the magazine has to attach somewhere other than within the grip, or have something attached to the muzzle to reduce recoil, or have a thumbhole stock (there go some high-end .22 target pistols!).

See 2323.11(L) (2)&(3)

http://www.columbuscitycouncil.org/assa ... 4-2005.pdf
the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

Brian, Willy P is correct, it goes into effect 30 days from yesterday. The entire thing is a joke, but I am confident that it will get overturned by the court system. Lawsuit anyone?
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Mayor?

Post by Cruiser »

I seem to remember hearing that Mayor needs to sign it for it to become law? Surely the Columbus Mayor wouldn't sign something that could hurt his chance at the State's top office!
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Somehow I think Coleman would think it a great opportunity to sign the thing! my $.02
MDM

Post by MDM »

You`re right on the money. Coleman will jump at the chance to sign this thing.
"A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it."
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

MDM wrote:You`re right on the money. Coleman will jump at the chance to sign this thing.
Kind of goes to show just how smart he is!
glockinfairfield

Post by glockinfairfield »

First Ohio was a battleground state in the national election. Now we may get into the national spotlight and be a battleground state for 2nd amendment rights, like in the upcoming governor's race! Anybody agree? We live in an historic time in many ways. :!: I hope we're all ready for it! If we're not, we may lose more than our 2nd amdmt. rights!
Glocks and Nikons. Is this a great country or what!?
RockinB

Re: Will I be arrested in Col.?

Post by RockinB »

aiformula wrote:I frequently drive through Columbus to and from friends and customers property. I am almost always armed during these periods. Since my HK runs around w/ 13+1 w/ me, if I am pulled over during a peaceable journey through that town, am I going to jail?

Only if you let yourself get caught.

Of course the liberal academic eggheads will probably set up " Magazine Capacity Check Points" at random througthout the city.

When ever traveling through the multi cultural capital. The diverse assortment of scumbags lined up along their thorofares sure makes me glad I don't live there amongst the unprotected sheeple.
The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.
"REMEMBER THE ALAMO"
What one generation tolerates, the next one embraces.
JJones

Post by JJones »

Brian_Horton wrote:aiformula,

I expect that soon the OFCC's lawyers can tell us with a little more detail what the Columbus law could mean for us. Keep watching for info here or on the OFCC website.

Brian
The law states :
Semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition.
the fixed magizine part applies to the "semi-automatic, centerfire rifle"

so therefore the the capacity to accept part applys to all semi-auto handguns. And try to get by with a 10 round mag will not get you out of being harrassed.

Jacques.
Greg Jones

Post by Greg Jones »

According to the PRO Web site, the language on a 10-round semi-auto pistol was changed in the final law to:

(2) Semi-automatic pistol with a fixed magazine, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition;