Someone please help

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Om295

Someone please help

Post by Om295 »

I have been granted my relief of disability in 05 I had an f5 which only carries a sentence of up to one year but I was denied a firearm background check because they said my sentence was more than one year so I talked to a firearms lawyer and he said clearly the FBI is making a mistake I am in the right I have all my rights restored and my sentence did not exceed one year but it would be $2000-$3000 to have them help me get it straightened out when I was 100% in the right they said it’s black-and-white that the Nics is making a mistake any one know how to help or what I can do
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Someone please help

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

You need to apply for an FBI Voluntary Appeals File. You will be issued a UPIN to use on the 4473.

I'll write up more late tonight after work, but you should be able to search my posts for UPIN.
MyWifeSaidYes
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I thought that was only to help out with future purchases once you have successfully appealed. He hasn't successfully appealed yet.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Here is the page about the appeals and VAF process: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/ ... cs-appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here is the VAF application: https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/vaf ... 5.pdf/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can appeal the denial, but do so separately from applying for a VAF. The appeal can be done relatively quickly, but the VAF process has stretched out to a year or more. A copy of your restoration order is the key document you will need to supply for both.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just found your prior posting that you had already appealed and 'lost'.

Were you permitted to speak with, or provide information to, the NICS appeals personnel?

If you CAN submit documentation, provide them with Ohio's definition of an F5 showing the possible length of sentence, in addition to your restoration order.
MyWifeSaidYes