Time for change....

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Do you agree?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Do you agree with these concepts?
43%
Are these ideas rediculous?
57%

Total votes: 14

OhioMike

Time for change....

Post by OhioMike »

It would be great if someone could get the ball rolling for change. Not me, as I would not be a good
voice for this matter. The things I see that need immediate change are:

1. Any CCW should be valid in all States or Cities. No city, town, municipality, etc should be able to enact any
local law that would put any restrictions on Concealed Carry.

2. We need to get rid of "No carry zones" Do people really believe that putting up these ridiculous signs will stop
a criminal from coming into your building or on your property? If you do you need to be on medication and/or
locked up. These signs only stop some honest citizen CCW holder from carrying in that store or building.
Do people not see what this accomplishes? Criminals choose these places to rob or shoot innocent people
because they know there will mosr likely be nobody in there with a gun to stop them. The police only show up
after the carnage has happened. It is not the fault of our brave police, it is just how the system works.

3. Create much longer prison sentences for criminals just caught carrying a firearm. Even longer terms for
those who commit a crime with a gun. We need special courts to deal with firearm crime. These should be NO PLEA BARGAINS AND NO EARLY RELEASE FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR. You are in PRISON, good behavior is all there should be.

4. I know it costs money, but having special judges, courts, and prison facilities is a great start. Model them after
Guantanamo Bay, Keep any gang members SEPARATED and make their prison stay as miserable as possible.

5. Every time a citizen with a CCW stops a crime or kills a criminal who is committing a crime should be REWARDED.
The news should run that story over and over just like these NEWS PUKES do when a criminal shoots up innocent
people.

6. Any citizen with a CCW who stops a serious crime should be given a NEW CCW FIREARM, HOLSTER, AND 100
ROUNDS OF AMMO.

7. Stop treating citizens who carry Concealed Weapons and intervene to thwart or stop a crime like criminals.

Once scumbags with guns start being arrested in mass and end up with 20 year sentences the streets will
be much safer and citizens wont have to worry about being shot.
My favorite pistol for ccw, Ruger LC9S
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Time for change....

Post by carmen fovozzo »

#5 AND #6 ARE A BIT FAR FETCHED..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

You are entitled to your opinion. I am not encouraging vigilantes but when a citizen uses a gun in a
Legal shooting... it is gone. Unless you want to get a lawyer and go to court.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

OhioMike wrote:You are entitled to your opinion. I am not encouraging vigilantes but when a citizen uses a gun in a
Legal shooting... it is gone. Unless you want to get a lawyer and go to court.

It will cause vigilanteism...how about adding a laser to that list ? :D
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

This is what comes to mind:
Have Gun Will Travel

wire Palldin, San Francisco
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

OhioMike wrote:You are entitled to your opinion. I am not encouraging vigilantes but when a citizen uses a gun in a Legal shooting... it is gone. Unless you want to get a lawyer and go to court.
What? You didn't do anything illegal and you forfeit your gun!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Where in #5 and #6 does it say that ?
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

Even in a full legal shooting with witnesses, the firearm you used is confiscated until
the case works its way through the system. Even on a fastrack your gun will be gone
For 6 months, then who knows what shape it will be in.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

OhioMike wrote:Even in a full legal shooting with witnesses, the firearm you used is confiscated until
the case works its way through the system. Even on a fastrack your gun will be gone
For 6 months, then who knows what shape it will be in.
One is none, two is one.
Have backups of everything.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

OhioMike wrote:It would be great if someone could get the ball rolling for change. Not me, as I would not be a good
voice for this matter. The things I see that need immediate change are:

1. Any CCW should be valid in all States or Cities. No city, town, municipality, etc should be able to enact any
local law that would put any restrictions on Concealed Carry.

2. We need to get rid of "No carry zones" Do people really believe that putting up these ridiculous signs will stop
a criminal from coming into your building or on your property? If you do you need to be on medication and/or
locked up. These signs only stop some honest citizen CCW holder from carrying in that store or building.
Do people not see what this accomplishes? Criminals choose these places to rob or shoot innocent people
because they know there will mosr likely be nobody in there with a gun to stop them. The police only show up
after the carnage has happened. It is not the fault of our brave police, it is just how the system works.

3. Create much longer prison sentences for criminals just caught carrying a firearm. Even longer terms for
those who commit a crime with a gun. We need special courts to deal with firearm crime. These should be NO PLEA BARGAINS AND NO EARLY RELEASE FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR. You are in PRISON, good behavior is all there should be.

4. I know it costs money, but having special judges, courts, and prison facilities is a great start. Model them after
Guantanamo Bay, Keep any gang members SEPARATED and make their prison stay as miserable as possible.

5. Every time a citizen with a CCW stops a crime or kills a criminal who is committing a crime should be REWARDED.
The news should run that story over and over just like these NEWS PUKES do when a criminal shoots up innocent
people.

6. Any citizen with a CCW who stops a serious crime should be given a NEW CCW FIREARM, HOLSTER, AND 100
ROUNDS OF AMMO.

7. Stop treating citizens who carry Concealed Weapons and intervene to thwart or stop a crime like criminals.

Once scumbags with guns start being arrested in mass and end up with 20 year sentences the streets will
be much safer and citizens wont have to worry about being shot.
1. Two parts to this one. Part one is national reciprocity. I am 100% in favor of national reciprocity. Part two would result in de facto federal preemption of all firearms laws. My position is that we should work to reduce, not increase, the infringement of the federal government on the 2A.

2. This is a conflict between private property rights and second amendment rights. I don't think it's a good idea to diminish the rights of property owners in favor of concealed carriers. We must support all rights. There are other ways to approach the problem, one of which is just to stay the heck out of no gun zones whenever possible. Government buildings are another matter entirely. We should definitely be able to carry into any building we, as taxpayers, paid for. I would extend that to any privately owned building that ever received one dime of public support, be it from municipal bonds, tax abatement, eminent domain proceedings, infrastructure , whatever.

3. Be careful what you wish for here. Under current Ohio law we are all about 50 seconds (I forget the exact number) away from being a criminal with a gun committing a gun crime if we forget to notify a LEO promptly. Forget to disarm before walking into a post office to buy a stamp? It's off to the hoosgow with you. No excuses. It's worse in some other states. I know that's not what you meant but there can be unintended consequences when laws are crafted too broadly. I also don't think it's a good idea to create a special class of crime for possessing a gun or using one in a crime. Increase the penalty for the crime if you feel it is appropriate but don't further demonize the gun.

4. See number 3.

5.& 6. I carry to protect myself and those near and dear to me. I am not a crime fighter. The only reward I ask is to be treated fairly and with dignity by the police and other authorities. In fact, I would prefer to keep my name, my face and my address out of the newspapers and off the TV screen.

7. Agree 100%.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Still cannot find a "national reciprocity" answer that doesn't trample on States' rights.

I am not in favor of it.

Much of the rest of this seems to be bluster or irrational oversimplification of an anything-but-simple set of circumstances.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

Not having a national standard of ccw rules would be like having different driving rules and penalties for every state. The national set of rules would have to be really relaxed as we have too many gun laws now. We need to kill most of the gun laws asap, and in a shooting make it the criminal that has the burden of proof. Right now most stated look at the honest citizen with a ccw as the criminal.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

OhioMike wrote:Not having a national standard of ccw rules would be like having different driving rules and penalties for every state. The national set of rules would have to be really relaxed as we have too many gun laws now. We need to kill most of the gun laws asap, and in a shooting make it the criminal that has the burden of proof. Right now most stated look at the honest citizen with a ccw as the criminal.
Ignoring the Consitutional issues of placing the burden of proof on the criminal, that backfires if the prosecutor wants to argue that your shooting was not justified, whether it in fact was or wasn't.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

Right now if you use your weapon in self defense the burden of proof is on the good guy, so I dont see your point
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

OhioMike wrote:Right now if you use your weapon in self defense the burden of proof is on the good guy, so I dont see your point
Only in Ohio and only to the issue of self defense. Plus there is pending legislation that may change that.
-- Mike