I have my federal explosive license, type 54

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jbags091992

I have my federal explosive license, type 54

Post by Jbags091992 »

Hey guys, I’ve gotten into trouble when I was younger. I’ve got a DV against my father and a marijuana charge. But I applied for my type 54 explosive license and the federal government deemed me a responsible person to handle and posses explosives. I was shocked. So do you think I would have the same luck getting my ccw I don’t see why not?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: I have my federal explosive license, type 54

Post by JustaShooter »

The marijuana charge may or may not be an issue depending on what it was, but a DV is a Federal disqualifier for firearms possession, and will disqualify you for getting a CHL. Just because the Feds didn't catch something when determining that you are a responsible person for an explosives license doesn't really matter.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Jbags091992 wrote:Hey guys, I’ve gotten into trouble when I was younger. I’ve got a DV against my father and a marijuana charge. But I applied for my type 54 explosive license and the federal government deemed me a responsible person to handle and posses explosives. I was shocked. So do you think I would have the same luck getting my ccw I don’t see why not?
On the DV....we're you the arrested or the victim? "Against my father" is confusing to me.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Jbags091992 wrote:Hey guys, I’ve gotten into trouble when I was younger. I’ve got a DV against my father and a marijuana charge. But I applied for my type 54 explosive license and the federal government deemed me a responsible person to handle and posses explosives. I was shocked. So do you think I would have the same luck getting my ccw I don’t see why not?
On the DV....we're you the arrested or the victim? "Against my father" is confusing to me.
Interesting question - I read it as having a DV for violence against his father. Not sure why it would have been mentioned otherwise.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

The DV situation for this individual was discussed here in depth: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=89309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like the relationship factor might be an influence in the decision process.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Stryker74 wrote:The DV situation for this individual was discussed here in depth: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=89309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like the relationship factor might be an influence in the decision process.
For the Federal disqualification, yes. But not for an Ohio CHL, it is an automatic disqualifier. From ORC 2923.125 (D)(1)(s)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(s) The applicant has not been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or adjudicated a delinquent child for committing a violation of section 2919.25 of the Revised Code or a similar violation in another state.
Likewise, the marijuana charge is a disqualifier under Ohio law (based on the other thread that shows it is a conviction under 2925.11.A) From ORC 2923.125 (D)(1)(e)
(e) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(4) or (5) of this section, the applicant has not been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a felony or an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse;
NRA Life Member

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

JustaShooter wrote:

Likewise, the marijuana charge is a disqualifier under Ohio law (based on the other thread that shows it is a conviction under 2925.11.A) From ORC 2923.125 (D)(1)(e)
(e) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(4) or (5) of this section, the applicant has not been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a felony or an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse;
But section (D) (4) provides for a minor misdemeanor drug charge to be sealed & allows a CHL to be issued.

Been There,Done That.

(4) If an applicant has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to an offense identified in division (D)(1)(e), (f), or (h) of this section or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act or violation identified in any of those divisions, and if a court has ordered the sealing or expungement of the records of that conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication pursuant to sections 2151.355 to 2151.358, sections 2953.31 to 2953.36, or section 2953.37 of the Revised Code or the applicant has been relieved under operation of law or legal process from the disability imposed pursuant to section 2923.13 of the Revised Code relative to that conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication, the sheriff with whom the application was submitted shall not consider the conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication in making a determination under division (D)(1) or (F) of this section or, in relation to an application for a concealed handgun license on a temporary emergency basis submitted under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, in making a determination under division (B)(2) of that section.

And section (D) (5) seems to extend this to minor misdemeanors even without their being sealed.

(5) If an applicant has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a minor misdemeanor offense or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act or violation that is a minor misdemeanor offense, the sheriff with whom the application was submitted shall not consider the conviction, guilty plea, or adjudication in making a determination under division (D)(1) or (F) of this section or, in relation to an application for a concealed handgun license on a temporary basis submitted under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, in making a determination under division (B)(2) of that section.

IANAL ,etcetera,etcetera,ad infinitum.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.