High school parking lot

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

smokewagon

High school parking lot

Post by smokewagon »

Reading Ohio laws about school property carry. More specifically Section 2923.122 of the Revised Code. Am I correct to assume I can have a pistol locked in the vehicle in the parking lot?
The reason I'm looking into this is the construction company I work for is doing an addition to a High school. Obviously I park my personal vehicle in the school lot. I'd hate to have to disarm before leaving the house.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: High school parking lot

Post by JustaShooter »

Correct. Section (D)(4) provides an exception if you lock the handgun in your vehicle (assuming you have a CHL, of course):
(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license or the person is an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(b) The person leaves the handgun in a motor vehicle .

(c) The handgun does not leave the motor vehicle.

(d) If the person exits the motor vehicle, the person locks the motor vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
smokewagon

Post by smokewagon »

Thanks for the reply. Yes I should have added that I do posses a CHL.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

That's good to hear I do some service work at schools on musical instruments. I also have a CCL
God made man, Colt made them equal