Temporary tags tied to CHL?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Temporary tags tied to CHL?

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote:Pretty sure it depends on the registered owner. If my name is on the car that I sell, but both my name and my wife's name is on the car I buy, you can't transfer the tags. But if only my name is on both cars then you can.
You are correct. If both names are on the old registration, both names have to be on the new one; if only one name on the old, then the same name must be the only one on the new to transfer the tags.

With regard to a lease, title is in the lessor's name, so you cannot transfer the tags to the new vehicle. I see no reason why the lessor couldn't transfer those tags to a new vehicle leased to you once it sells the old one except that it's probably too much trouble for the leasing company to go through and the leasing contract probably controls that.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

schmieg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Pretty sure it depends on the registered owner. If my name is on the car that I sell, but both my name and my wife's name is on the car I buy, you can't transfer the tags. But if only my name is on both cars then you can.
You are correct. If both names are on the old registration, both names have to be on the new one; if only one name on the old, then the same name must be the only one on the new to transfer the tags.

With regard to a lease, title is in the lessor's name, so you cannot transfer the tags to the new vehicle. I see no reason why the lessor couldn't transfer those tags to a new vehicle leased to you once it sells the old one except that it's probably too much trouble for the leasing company to go through and the leasing contract probably controls that.
Something to think about for sure now that Ohio is offering the option for 2 year registration. If you paid the two years, and your leased vehicle was totalled....you would be out the cost of the plates probably ??

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

willbird wrote:
schmieg wrote:

Something to think about for sure now that Ohio is offering the option for 2 year registration. If you paid the two years, and your leased vehicle was totalled....you would be out the cost of the plates probably ??

Bill
Yes, just like the plates I put on my mother's car when I inherited it and then gave it to my brother-in-law two months later when his car died.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand