Temporary tags tied to CHL?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Temporary tags tied to CHL?

Post by Brian D. »

I bought a new car the other day, from a dealer in northern Ky. that also has operations in SW Ohio. I asked an Ohio sheriffs deputy friend to look up my temporary tags in the computer. Apparently there can be a three (business) day delay between purchase and updated info that ties the tags to my Ohio CHL.

Guess I will put my new license plates on the car as soon as they arrive in the mail. Right now I am kind of a ghost.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Re: Temporary tags tied to CHL?

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

Mom basically left her car to my wife & I.

The lawyer screwed up the paperwork, and ended up titling the car to my sister - the one in El Paso.

Lynn tended to put stuff aside rather than taking care of it.

Six months, give or take, to put plates on it with my name (or buy them!) here in OH. Then I had to show the clerk at the Title office how to do the paperwork. Meantime, Sherri was driving my Lincoln, and it broke twice. Dropped a pile renting cars so she could get to work. (Probably less than the fine for driving the Caddy without valid plates.)

It's feeling much better now. Sherri had been driving the Caddy, and when I "loaned' her my Lincoln, she put so much mileage on it in those months that I told to keep it. About 50K miles on the Caddy v.s. now about 116K miles on the Lincoln. 80K on the Lincoln when Sherri started driving it. She retired last October, but has barely slowed down. She comes home once in a while to yell at me and the pets :D .

Family joke: I have about $90,000 worth of cars out there in the drive. Unfortunately, the newest one is about 18.... Blue Book valuation is something under $3500. (The Caddy is 19.)

Back on topic: I imagine our CHL status is on the record for a Temporary tag, only because bureaucrats tend to record everything that their management will let them.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

3 days? Hahahahahahah

I've seen dealers take 30 days or more, which is why the law was changed a few years ago from 30 day temp tags to 45 days. It's suppose to be all electronic now but a lot of dealers still process BMV paperwork manually and mail it in once a week or every other week. I had a vehicle once take about 3 weeks before the system changed it (a guy at work didn't know I bought a new car and ran it in our parking lot and came in to ask me why I didn't change my plates.) And this was a permanent tag using the same tag.

Granted, my favorite one was my wife and I drove a vehicle around for 4 months that wasn't registered. Dealership never transferred the tags and assigned the vehicle a temp tag. Yet they are the ones that removed the plates off the old car and placed them on the new one. Car was declared a lemon and I had to send BMV paperwork in and had to fix that cluster before I could do anything further on the lemon issue.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

As I recall they usually run the license plate, AND the Registered owner....and the CHL pops on the registered owner.

On a temp tag does the vehicle have a registered owner yet that is associated with the tag ??

The tag is to cover the time while the title is transferred ??

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bill, my name is (hand) printed on the temporary tag. Not the most legible writing. And it's written sideways sort of at the edge. If a police officer could read that from inside the cruiser, he/she should be a fighter pilot instead.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

willbird wrote:As I recall they usually run the license plate, AND the Registered owner....and the CHL pops on the registered owner.

On a temp tag does the vehicle have a registered owner yet that is associated with the tag ??

The tag is to cover the time while the title is transferred ??

Bill
Temp tags once issued to a dealer are automatically in the system. If a police officer runs them, they will return to the dealer name. The dealer is suppose to send information to the BMV on the new registered owner upon selling the vehicle. They are suppose to also send info to the title office to transfer the title or issue a memorandum title. The delay is if they do it electronically or by paper and if the dealer does it or some clerk working in the back room.

Once the BMV updates their temp tag records with the new owner, it will then have your social security number on it and will automatically run your driver's license and concealed handgun license as two separate queries but at the same time.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

$89 for the ticket. Mom got dinged for it last week. She completely spaced on it in August and forgot about it. Got home and realized that it wasn't just the one that was expired, it was all three. Then she gets to the DMV and there is a $15 "fee" for renewing expired tags. Bunch of @%$$#@%#$$@ thieves.
SMMAssociates wrote:Six months, give or take, to put plates on it with my name (or buy them!) here in OH. Then I had to show the clerk at the Title office how to do the paperwork. Meantime, Sherri was driving my Lincoln, and it broke twice. Dropped a pile renting cars so she could get to work. (Probably less than the fine for driving the Caddy without valid plates.)
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

JediSkipdogg wrote:3 days? Hahahahahahah

I've seen dealers take 30 days or more, which is why the law was changed a few years ago from 30 day temp tags to 45 days. It's suppose to be all electronic now but a lot of dealers still process BMV paperwork manually and mail it in once a week or every other week..
I can remember when everything was done by hand and the temp tags were only good for 10 days..Proof that computers don't always make things quicker ... :roll: :roll:
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

WY_Not wrote:$89 for the ticket. Mom got dinged for it last week. She completely spaced on it in August and forgot about it. Got home and realized that it wasn't just the one that was expired, it was all three. Then she gets to the DMV and there is a $15 "fee" for renewing expired tags. Bunch of @%$$#@%#$$@ thieves.
SMMAssociates wrote:Six months, give or take, to put plates on it with my name (or buy them!) here in OH. Then I had to show the clerk at the Title office how to do the paperwork. Meantime, Sherri was driving my Lincoln, and it broke twice. Dropped a pile renting cars so she could get to work. (Probably less than the fine for driving the Caddy without valid plates.)
Just got my plates for the year, did not know they were offering 2yr registration now. The counter lady said she does it annual because she can remember that, not so much 2 yrs :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

I think they're offering up to 5 years now, but I usually go for 2. You don't get money back if you get rid of the car before the tags expire, so I'm a little leery of going that far out. I have it set so that I get email from the BMV when my tags are due.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

pediem wrote:I think they're offering up to 5 years now, but I usually go for 2. You don't get money back if you get rid of the car before the tags expire, so I'm a little leery of going that far out. I have it set so that I get email from the BMV when my tags are due.
Unless that's part of the multi-year deal, I've always been able to transfer the tag from a vehicle I sold or traded to the replacement.

Plus the State BMV sends notice,by mail, weeks prior to the tags expiration date. You also can renew them online or by mail.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Tru-Heathen wrote:
pediem wrote:I think they're offering up to 5 years now, but I usually go for 2. You don't get money back if you get rid of the car before the tags expire, so I'm a little leery of going that far out. I have it set so that I get email from the BMV when my tags are due.
Unless that's part of the multi-year deal, I've always been able to transfer the tag from a vehicle I sold or traded to the replacement.

Plus the State BMV sends notice,by mail, weeks prior to the tags expiration date. You also can renew them online or by mail.
It depends on how the transfer is done. If you lease a vehicle, you cannot transfer tags for some reason. At least my dad (who is a huge vehicle leaser) has always had to get new tags every new lease. So if you planned on buying the vehicle and renewed for says 2 or 3 years, then traded it in 8 months later, you would lose the rest of the renewal period.

I'm sure there may be other cases, but I'm not 100% sure on it.

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Thanks for that clarification, it wouldn't occurred to me to consider that. I've never leased any vehicle in 50 years of driving.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Pretty sure it depends on the registered owner. If my name is on the car that I sell, but both my name and my wife's name is on the car I buy, you can't transfer the tags. But if only my name is on both cars then you can.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

That makes sense.
Also something I've never done. My ex-wife & I had all our vehicles, financial accounts, debts and property in our individual names. :twisted: