New resident CCW question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New resident CCW question

Post by WestonDon »

tech141 wrote:Ill-Noise is known for its Gestapo tactics..... I still have to file Income Tax for the State......

No matter, I passed the Ohio CCW class today, and will be submitting my application for a CHL at the next available opportunity. I also completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course. Been meaning to get that under my belt for a while and today provided the perfect time to do it. I was surprised at how little range time was needed during the course. Wish it was more.
Welcome to Ohio and OFCC. Please don't take this as anything other than constructive dialog it is intended to be. Some of us here, myself included, consider permitless carry to be the ultimate goal of firearms rights in Ohio. That is to say no license, no fee, no training requirement, no government intrusion into the right to carry firearms as we see fit whatsoever. This does not mean I am against training. No one here will argue that training/proficiency is a bad thing. Many will argue that it should not be codified in law for the privilege of exercising a right.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
tech141

Post by tech141 »

WestonDon,

Nope - I take no umbrage from your post. There are two reasons why I wished there was more range time.

1. More than a few of the other people in the class of 60 had never fired a pistol before, and were VERY nervous/shaky and could be considered dangerous to themselves and those around them.

2. I really enjoy shooting, and would have really liked to have been out there longer. I took 400 rds with me, but was only allowed to fire around 60 during the course.

I too believe in true Constitutional Carry, but also believe it is imperative that a person train themselves to be proficient with their firearm before carrying it.

Case in point - I recently acquired a Sig Sauer P226 Elite Scorpion (9mm), and have been training with it. I have put 700 rds through it in the last week. I am getting there, but not quite confident in my ability with it to replace my S&W M&P 9c as my EDC. Have been carrying the Smith for the last 3 years.....
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Right, have to file for the portion of 2017 that you were an IL resident. That is normal. Now if they want you to file for 2018? Don't think so.

As for the limited amount of range time required to get a CHL... It is one of those rare occasions where .gov assumes you are a responsible adult and are capable of getting the additional training you may decide you need on your own. :wink:
tech141 wrote:Ill-Noise is known for its Gestapo tactics..... I still have to file Income Tax for the State......

No matter, I passed the Ohio CCW class today, and will be submitting my application for a CHL at the next available opportunity. I also completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course. Been meaning to get that under my belt for a while and today provided the perfect time to do it. I was surprised at how little range time was needed during the course. Wish it was more.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
tech141

Post by tech141 »

Submitted my application at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office this morning. The folks there were awesome - friendly, helpful, and sociable. I was in and out in 9 minutes. They said it could be 2 - 45 days as I need a background check.

Looks like Ohio has this process figured out. Every day I am more impressed with this state.

I wish I would have moved here sooner.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

tech141 wrote:WestonDon,

Nope - I take no umbrage from your post. There are two reasons why I wished there was more range time.

1. More than a few of the other people in the class of 60 had never fired a pistol before, and were VERY nervous/shaky and could be considered dangerous to themselves and those around them.
Those people might be safer overall than some folks who seem a lot more confident ;-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I agree with WY_Not. If anyone feels they need additional training, Ohio has many people offering many advanced training courses, some of them by nationally known or affiliated instructors.
WY_Not wrote:Right, have to file for the portion of 2017 that you were an IL resident. That is normal. Now if they want you to file for 2018? Don't think so.

As for the limited amount of range time required to get a CHL... It is one of those rare occasions where .gov assumes you are a responsible adult and are capable of getting the additional training you may decide you need on your own. :wink: