New resident CCW question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

New resident CCW question

Postby tech141 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Good Afternoon,

I did a quick search, but wasn't able to find a previous post that covered my question. It is as follows -

Background - I moved to Ohio 22 Sep 2017. I have an Ill-noise CCW license with an expiration date of 2020. On 26 Oct, 2017, I became an Ohio Resident (changed my drivers license and truck registration to Ohio), and surrendered my Ill-noise DL at the same time. I still have the Ill-noise CCW in my posession.

Question - Am I legal to CCW in Ohio at this time? I will be applying for my Ohio CCW when the 45-day "New Resident" wait period is up on 11 Dec 2017.

If this Has been covered in a previous post, please direct me there.

I thank you for reading my post and truly appreciate any information you could provide in my quest for enlightenment.

Have an Outstanding Day!

Mike
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
tech141
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby JustaShooter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Your IL license is valid for you to carry until you have been a resident for 6 months.

See Ohio Revised Code 109.69 (B)(2) http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69

(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.


And, you don't have to wait until you have been a resident for 45 days to apply. As soon as you have taken your class and have your certificate, you can apply for your Ohio CHL. That requirement was removed in March 2015

See ORC 2923.125 (B) http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby scottb » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 pm

One caution - and I don’t know whether or not it applies - Illinois may no longer recognize your permit.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
User avatar
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 pm
Location: Wooster

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby tech141 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:37 am

JustaShooter wrote:Your IL license is valid for you to carry until you have been a resident for 6 months.

See Ohio Revised Code 109.69 (B)(2) http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/109.69

(2) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state that has not entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code for a period of six months after the person became a resident of this state. After that six-month period, if the person wishes to obtain a concealed handgun license, the person shall apply for a concealed handgun license pursuant to section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.


And, you don't have to wait until you have been a resident for 45 days to apply. As soon as you have taken your class and have your certificate, you can apply for your Ohio CHL. That requirement was removed in March 2015

See ORC 2923.125 (B) http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125


That is outstanding news. Thanks! Going to get that done ASAP.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
tech141
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby JustaShooter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 am

scottb wrote:One caution - and I don’t know whether or not it applies - Illinois may no longer recognize your permit.

That's a great point, and worth looking into. It is possible that IL may revoke the license because you are no longer a resident of IL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
User avatar
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: Akron/Canton Area

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby tech141 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:57 pm

JustaShooter wrote:
scottb wrote:One caution - and I don’t know whether or not it applies - Illinois may no longer recognize your permit.

That's a great point, and worth looking into. It is possible that IL may revoke the license because you are no longer a resident of IL.


Well, until they send me something saying it has been revoked, I will not assume that it has been.

I have an Ohio CCW class on 11 Nov. After that it will be a moot point.

I am looking for ward to sending my Ill-Noise CCW permit and FOID card back and telling them exactly where to put it.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
tech141
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby schmieg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:15 pm

tech141 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
scottb wrote:One caution - and I don’t know whether or not it applies - Illinois may no longer recognize your permit.

That's a great point, and worth looking into. It is possible that IL may revoke the license because you are no longer a resident of IL.


Well, until they send me something saying it has been revoked, I will not assume that it has been.

I have an Ohio CCW class on 11 Nov. After that it will be a moot point.

I am looking for ward to sending my Ill-Noise CCW permit and FOID card back and telling them exactly where to put it.

You might want to keep the license as a rare document.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5160
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby tech141 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:14 pm

From what I have read on another site I peruse, the Ill-noise state gestapo will send a letter a few months after changing state residency threatening fines and jail time if a person doesn't send the FOID and CCW license back to them ASAP. I am looking forward to receipt of said letter with much gleeful anticipation, if what I have read is true. I am mentally composing a reply to said letter utilizing words in excess of 4 syllables and multiple contractions thrown in for good measure. Still wrangling internally on exactly what form I should send the cards back to them - Charred remains? Chopped up into microscopic pieces? Superimposed with a picture of a baboons anus on top? There are just so many different ways to do it that I am experiencing "selection Paralysis" with the cornucopia of possibilities.

It IS a shame that I won't be able to deliver it to them personally, but I have absolutely NONE intention of ever stepping foot in that corrupt communistic wasteland ever again. 11 years in that festering cesspool was 12 years too long.

Long Days and Pleasant Nights to you.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
tech141
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby M-Quigley » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 pm

schmieg wrote:You might want to keep the license as a rare document.


How rare is a Illinois carry permit for residents now that it is shall issue?"
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby schmieg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 pm

M-Quigley wrote:
schmieg wrote:You might want to keep the license as a rare document.


How rare is a Illinois carry permit for residents now that it is shall issue?"

Considering the cost of obtaining one, it's probably not too common.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5160
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby docachna » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 pm

tech141 wrote:From what I have read on another site I peruse, the Ill-noise state gestapo will send a letter a few months after changing state residency threatening fines and jail time if a person doesn't send the FOID and CCW license back to them ASAP. .


"I was all ready to send them back, when, POOF...........I lost them. No idea where they went.

Oh, snap..............."

:(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
docachna
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:26 am
Location: Mount Juliet TN

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby WestonDon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:09 am

How the heck does the state of Illinois know you left?

Just fold your tent and quietly slip away into the night.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:30 pm
Location: Wood county

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby tech141 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:50 am

I believe it's part of the process of changing my truck registration to Ohio, and getting an Ohio driver's license that initiates the notification that I have moved. That's a pretty good indicator. The Ill-Noise CCW and FOID are tied to the Ill-Noise drivers license.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
tech141
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby WY_Not » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:26 am

Regardless, what are they going to do about it if you claim it was lost or that you already mailed it back? What can they do besides send you a letter?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.

Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
User avatar
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Miami County, OH

Re: New resident CCW question

Postby tech141 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Ill-Noise is known for its Gestapo tactics..... I still have to file Income Tax for the State......

No matter, I passed the Ohio CCW class today, and will be submitting my application for a CHL at the next available opportunity. I also completed the NRA Basic Pistol Course. Been meaning to get that under my belt for a while and today provided the perfect time to do it. I was surprised at how little range time was needed during the course. Wish it was more.
Heavy Metal Cowboy

Life is too short to get old so quick.

The Problem is not the problem. The Problem is your attitude about the problem.
tech141
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Next

Return to Ohio Concealed Carry Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests