Renewing license after moving out of state for a year.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

scoot15638

Renewing license after moving out of state for a year.

Post by scoot15638 »

Hello All,

I've been doing some digging and have not been able to find any information on this issue. So 5 years ago i took the class and received my CCW. A couple of years ago i moved down to Florida, and then after a little over a year moved back to the same place in Ohio. My original ccw license is set to expire this month so i went to renew, but the check box for "have you lived in Ohio for the last 2 or 3 years i left blank because i was in Florida about a year and a half ago.

So today i received a call back from the sheriffs department, and the person in charge of the paper work notified me that i need a re-certification course and an additional 27$ on top of my 50$ to get it renewed. I told her i wasn't sure if my residence ever really changed, other than getting a new drivers license i never declared domicile or registered my car in that state. She said she hasn't run my application through yet, and if i did and it came back that my residence changed and the application would be denied. Or it could potentially go through, and everything would be good to go. What would you all suggest i do? There aren't really any re-certification course options, so i assume i'd have to go through the entire friggin course again.

Thanks for the help.
Brian D.

Re: Renewing license after moving out of state for a year.

Post by Brian D. »

Just a half-educated guess, but changing your driver's license from Ohio to Florida would probably count as moving/leaving the state. It should certainly have impacted other residency issues, like where you could buy handguns, and where you could vote.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

If you still have your old license you should not have to re-take any training, as for the other it is only $27 dollars :-)
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

As I understand it, your license remained valid while you were living outside of Ohio, so this should be a renewal, so you should not need to take the class again. You would answer No to the question "Have you lived in Ohio for the past five years or more?" and will have to pay the additional $27 for the FBI background check on top of the normal renewal fee of $50.

BTW, what county is this?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

When you filed your taxes, what address did you use a year and a half ago? Ohio or Florida?

Were you there on military orders?
scoot15638

Post by scoot15638 »

I wasn't, this is for cuyahoga county. The person said i will need the additional 27$ and to do a recertification course if my residence has indeed been changed. Anyone have any idea where/how much a recertificaiton course would be? Since Ohio changed their rules and those don't really need come up.
scoot15638

Post by scoot15638 »

Also, still have my old license.
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

No Re-Certification needed, ask them to show where in the law it says that.
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

scoot15638 wrote:I wasn't, this is for cuyahoga county. The person said i will need the additional 27$ and to do a recertification course if my residence has indeed been changed. Anyone have any idea where/how much a recertificaiton course would be? Since Ohio changed their rules and those don't really need come up.
Ditto to what everyone else is saying. No recertification course is needed. Ask them to show you in the law where it states that it is. If they still push, simply go to a surrounding county. I'm sure someone around here can say which county would be the easiest if you list which are closest to you.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

If they continue to insist you need to retake the class, I'd check with Lake County. They seem to be a good choice for someone in a neighboring county.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
scoot15638

Post by scoot15638 »

I guess technically i did change residency for a year. However, i agree there should be no reason to take the re-certification course considering every single sherrifs office i see states that you don't have to.