2nd District Ruling on MM Marijuana & CHL

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

2nd District Ruling on MM Marijuana & CHL

Post by schmieg »

In administrative appeal of sheriff's denial of plaintiff's application for a concealed handgun license, trial court erred in affirming the denial where decision was based on plaintiff's misdemeanor conviction for marijuana possession, the amount of marijuana would have been a minor misdemeanor in Ohio, and statute precludes consideration of minor misdemeanors in making concealed handgun license determinations,
http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod/do ... o-7746.pdf
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: 2nd District Ruling on MM Marijuana & CHL

Post by willbird »

Under federal law the guy still cannot buy a gun though ??

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Effective this Friday, non-felony drug convictions (i.e. misdemeanor and minor misdemeanor) are no longer firearm disabilities under Ohio law
Interesting......will be curious to see if USC picks this case up.

Bill
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

willbird wrote:Under federal law the guy still cannot buy a gun though ??
I don't believe that's the case. A single minor misdemeanor conviction does not look to me like it would be a disqualifier under Federal law. Federal law prohibits "a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance". Seems to me like it would take more than one MM in the person's past to establish them as a prohibited person under that standard.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:
I don't believe that's the case. A single minor misdemeanor conviction does not look to me like it would be a disqualifier under Federal law. Federal law prohibits "a person who is an unlawful user of or who is addicted to a controlled substance". Seems to me like it would take more than one MM in the person's past to establish them as a prohibited person under that standard.
Yea it had been quite some time since I had dug into it. The courts have ruled that a MM card can preclude one from buying from FFL due to the "habitual user" language.

I'm just hard wired to a lifetime of thinking any weed conviction would remove your second amendment rights...in my own case it was a GOOD fear...it pushed me towards a life of sobriety since 11-12-1991.

Bill
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

willbird wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Yea it had been quite some time since I had dug into it. The courts have ruled that a MM card can preclude one from buying from FFL due to the "habitual user" language.

I'm just hard wired to a lifetime of thinking any weed conviction would remove your second amendment rights...in my own case it was a GOOD fear...it pushed me towards a life of sobriety since 11-12-1991.

Bill
A medical marijuana card is different though, it might imply that you're a current user. Not the same as someone who, say 5 or 10 yrs. ago had a minor misdemeanor for possession.
(reference the word "is" in the 4473 question, not "were you ever" or "or have ever been", for example.)