Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Wal-Mart won't accept CHL in lieu of 4473

Post by schmieg »

WhyNot wrote:I suspect that there will be a greater chance of using a CHL vs. phoning in to NICS, once all us older licensees are renewed. At least at that point there will be less confusion, this CHL is ok, this older one is not etc. Can be a bit tasking for a lowly store clerk especially some I've ran into.
I recall someone here talking a long time ago about trying to pay with a $2.00 bill at Booger King and having the manager call the cops for counterfeiting.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I was down in Corinth, Mississippi doing some work at our plant there many years ago.
Having been out of the country the previous month, I still had a few American Express traveler's checks with me.
Upon buying some food, snacks, beverages to stock my in room refrigerator I presented one of the traveler's checks for payment.
The cashier asked to see my driver's license, which, of course was from Ohio.
She then informed me that it was store policy not to accept out of state checks.
The next words out of my mouth were, "Get your manager here, NOW."
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It was kind of funny when I bought a Mossberg 500 from Walmart and had to be walked out with my purchase...even though I was open carrying an M&P .45 on my hip.

:?
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It was kind of funny when I bought a Mossberg 500 from Walmart and had to be walked out with my purchase...even though I was open carrying an M&P .45 on my hip.

:?
Yeah, the rifle and handgun ammo is locked up, but not the shotgun shells, for some reason. An aisle over, there's no locks on the gallon cans of white Coleman gasoline. Eh, don't want to bore everybody, I been down this rant before..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I don't know if it's still true but Pyrodex Pellets used to be out on the shelves at Walmart too.
That could make for some fun along with the white gas.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

It's all funny! But in reality the pistol and rifle ammo is most likely locked up due to ''theft prevention'' during the scarce times. Which has simply lingered on, now.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

In late August a purchased a Marlin 336W from my local Walmart in Lebanon. They took my CHL without calling in, but I DID have to complete the 4473
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MacDonald wrote:In late August a purchased a Marlin 336W from my local Walmart in Lebanon. They took my CHL without calling in, but I DID have to complete the 4473
I think I read completing the 4473 is still a requirement for all FFL's anyway.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
MacDonald wrote:In late August a purchased a Marlin 336W from my local Walmart in Lebanon. They took my CHL without calling in, but I DID have to complete the 4473
I think I read completing the 4473 is still a requirement for all FFL's anyway.
It is. Your CHL may (optionally) be accepted by an FFL in lieu of the background check (if issued March 23, 2015 or later) but the 4473 is still required for all transfers by an FFL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
k3m1c6

Post by k3m1c6 »

So I'm sure this was asked before but, did something happen as of 3/15 to make the option possible? Is there more info checked after that then was checked bfore?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

k3m1c6 wrote:So I'm sure this was asked before but, did something happen as of 3/15 to make the option possible? Is there more info checked after that then was checked bfore?
Could have just been a different clerk that knew what the new law is.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

k3m1c6 wrote:So I'm sure this was asked before but, did something happen as of 3/15 to make the option possible? Is there more info checked after that then was checked bfore?

A new law went into effect. All licenses issued after 3/25/15 went through the NICS.
Therefore, all licensees who have a license issued after that date can skip the background check when buying a gun, if the dealer agrees.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
ruger

Post by ruger »

Sportsmans Den in Shelby accepted my CHL issued after 3/25/15 (I still had to complete the ATF form).

Not sure what FFF does.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ruger wrote:Sportsmans Den in Shelby accepted my CHL issued after 3/25/15 (I still had to complete the ATF form).

Not sure what FFF does.
FFF does not accept a CHL in lieu of the background check.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

Wal_Mart are the same people that told me I had to have a hunting license to purchase a range pass.