Ohio: Right to Carry Reform Bill Moves on to 5th Hearing

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dc3dog

Post by dc3dog »

Call and Urge Your Committee Members to Support House Bill 142
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1799
NRA Endowment Life Member.
Cogito, ergo sum armatus.
Molon labe.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Ohio: Right to Carry Reform Bill Moves on to 5th Hearing

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

A substitute bill has been introduced.

The text isn't posted, but the Substitute Bill Comparative Synopsis HAS been published:

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/downlo ... format=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The substitute bill INCREASES the burden of CHL holders. You'll notice that, under this sub bill, you will now have to PRODUCE YOUR PHYSICAL CHL CARD in addition to verbally notifying.

Failure to do EITHER will result in a $25 fine and a Minor Misdemeanor on your record.

Have your representatives vote AGAINST the sub bill.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Agreed. There is only one bill that should be passed and that's one that eliminates any and all portions of notification, not a bill that changes the wording. :evil:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

dc3dog wrote:Ohio: Right to Carry Reform Bill Moves on to 5th Hearing

Call and Urge Your Committee Members to Support House Bill 142
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If anything, I'd be contacting the NRA and chewing them a new one for supporting it. I did and told them I'd be recinding my life membership if it becomes law.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The substitute bill INCREASES the burden of CHL holders. You'll notice that, under this sub bill, you will now have to PRODUCE YOUR PHYSICAL CHL CARD in addition to verbally notifying.
I'd love to do away with mandatory notification as well, but I read this as DECREASING the burden. If an officer asks for ID you must also {produce your CHL along with the DL OR verbally notify} AND {state that you are armed OR have a loaded gun in the vehicle}.

So, you only have to notify OR produce your CHL IF an officer asks for ID.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

buckeye43210 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The substitute bill INCREASES the burden of CHL holders. You'll notice that, under this sub bill, you will now have to PRODUCE YOUR PHYSICAL CHL CARD in addition to verbally notifying.
I'd love to do away with mandatory notification as well, but I read this as DECREASING the burden. If an officer asks for ID you must also {produce your CHL along with the DL OR verbally notify} AND {state that you are armed OR have a loaded gun in the vehicle}.

Almost. You have to verbally notify OR produce your CHL IF an officer asks for ID, but then you must also :
(2) Disclose that the person then is carrying a
concealed handgun or has a loaded handgun in
the motor vehicle
I strongly object to this second notification. It's redundant and still requires a licensee to "Castile" themselves by forcing them to verbalize something along the lines of "I have a gun". (Whether they use those words or not)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

The officer will ask for ID from the driver at every stop and will now expect the CHL to be produced along with the driver's license, whether that's what the bill states or how it is interpreted regardless of the armed status.

See how confusing and wrong this bill is?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Javelin Man wrote:The officer will ask for ID from the driver at every stop and will now expect the CHL to be produced along with the driver's license, whether that's what the bill states or how it is interpreted regardless of the armed status.

See how confusing and wrong this bill is?
No I'm missing it. What you're describing is the way it works in over half the states, according to concealednation.org.

Of course that # doesn't include the current redundant provision of providing ID and verbally notifying.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

What a crock of crap....all this time and this is what we get...

I can see someone now getting pulled over and finding his CHL and DL at the same time before the officer gets to the window of the driver.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
buckeye43210 wrote:

Almost. You have to verbally notify OR produce your CHL IF an officer asks for ID, but then you must also :
(2) Disclose that the person then is carrying a
concealed handgun or has a loaded handgun in
the motor vehicle
That's what I was trying to say in the first paragraph after the AND...

Perhaps my second paragraph should have read, "So, you have to verbally notify OR produce your CHL only IF an officer asks for ID AND you are armed OR have a loaded gun in the vihicle."
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:What a crock of crap....all this time and this is what we get...

I can see someone now getting pulled over and finding his CHL and DL at the same time before the officer gets to the window of the driver.
After you give verbal notification of your CHL the cop wants to see it most of the time regardless,...just to make sure its on your person.
Black Rifles Matter
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I keep my ODL & CHL permit in the same slot in my wallet, so it should become automatic to give both at the same time.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Don't forget, in addition to handing over your CHL you *must also* disclose you have a concealed handgun (or have a loaded handgun in the vehicle). You can't just hand over your CHL and call it done.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

JustaShooter wrote:Don't forget, in addition to handing over your CHL you *must also* disclose you have a concealed handgun (or have a loaded handgun in the vehicle). You can't just hand over your CHL and call it done.
Which seems idiotic to me. It's completely pointless. I'm not handing over my CHL because I *don't* have my gun with me.
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

The only good side I see to this, is if you're a passenger in a vehicle. Unless you are asked for your driver's license (not just an ID) you don't have to notify? Or am I reading that wrong. If you're stopped on the street (not driving) for a law enforcement purpose and are asked for ID (not a driver's license) do you have to notify? I guess I need to see the actual wording.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum