Maxstraderdays in LIma

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Maxstraderdays in LIma

Post by Gramps »

The Allen County fairgrounds are hosting Maxes trader days which I have never been too. I went to their rules page at http://maxstraderdays.com/wp-content/up ... /rules.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where it says all firearms must be visible and abide by concealed carry laws and all state and federal laws-Also says no live ammo.

I called them and asked what all that meant if I came with a CCL and a concealed, loaded handgun. I was informed that because it is government ground I could not bring in a loaded handgun according to the law but I would not be strip searched either...... :roll:

Am I right that I can carry concealed with a CCL and open carry without a CCL on the grounds but cannot do either in the buildings?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Maxstraderdays in LIma

Post by schmieg »

Gramps wrote:The Allen County fairgrounds are hosting Maxes trader days which I have never been too. I went to their rules page at http://maxstraderdays.com/wp-content/up ... /rules.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where it says all firearms must be visible and abide by concealed carry laws and all state and federal laws-Also says no live ammo.

I called them and asked what all that meant if I came with a CCL and a concealed, loaded handgun. I was informed that because it is government ground I could not bring in a loaded handgun according to the law but I would not be strip searched either...... :roll:

Am I right that I can carry concealed with a CCL and open carry without a CCL on the grounds but cannot do either in the buildings?
You are correct that you can carry that way on the grounds. Whether you can carry in the building depends on a lot of other information that you did not provide. Technically, there is no prohibition for open carrying in government buildings, but you may have to go to court to establish that, something you don't want to do. If the building is owned by the government, but does not have government employees "regularly" there, it does not qualify as a government facility and carry is allowed there. If government employees are "regularly" present, then concealed carry is not allowed.

This is all subject to the rules made by the organization using the building though and, if the parties or organization given permission by the county to have a function there decides to restrict carry, they have that right. So, like much of the law on concealed and open carry, the answer is amorphous and probably can only be finalized by the courts or, more unlikely, the legislature clarifying the law.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

schmieg wrote:. So, like much of the law on concealed and open carry, the answer is amorphous and probably can only be finalized by the courts or, more unlikely, the legislature clarifying the law.
Thanks schmieg for answering my question so fast!
Sad our laws are written so no one can 100% know what the writers meant when penned.
Seem federal property (the VA to be specific) falls out of the "government" rules on bringing any firearm on the property..
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Gramps wrote:
schmieg wrote:. So, like much of the law on concealed and open carry, the answer is amorphous and probably can only be finalized by the courts or, more unlikely, the legislature clarifying the law.
Thanks schmieg for answering my question so fast!
Sad our laws are written so no one can 100% know what the writers meant when penned.
Seem federal property (the VA to be specific) falls out of the "government" rules on bringing any firearm on the property..
The feds have their own regulations and laws which Ohio turns into felonies. Many of the federal violations have penalties below those of speeding tickets, but Ohio makes it a felony to carry anywhere that the feds prohibit.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand