Stopped for Law Enforcement Purpose

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Stopped for Law Enforcement Purpose

Post by Chuck »

qmti wrote:Maybe I went about this wrong but I was interested about the movement of this bill and sent a email to Rep. Scott Wiggans who I believe sponsored the bill on Sunday 8/28/17. Received the automated response back on Monday that email was received. No further response from his office yet.
Please share with us any response he sends
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
dc3dog

Post by dc3dog »

qmti wrote:Maybe I went about this wrong but I was interested about the movement of this bill and sent a email to Rep. Scott Wiggans who I believe sponsored the bill on Sunday 8/28/17. Received the automated response back on Monday that email was received. No further response from his office yet.
I would say that as long as you msg was presented in a positive way i.e. professional, no ranting, raving cursing, etc. then sending a email to your rep. is the right thing to do. I would also suggest making a phone call to your rep. as well. You may not get to speak to them right away but tell the staffer that you would like to respectfully as the rep. for their support of hb 142 (note that sometimes those numbers change and it is very helpful to know the correct hb #. Also, call and write your state senator. That bill will have a different # and may not even have one yet but still make the call and follow up later. Must importantly always be respectful and professional. The same holds true even if you do not support a particular bill, remember you catch more with honey than vinegar.
NRA Endowment Life Member.
Cogito, ergo sum armatus.
Molon labe.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It will have the same bill number once it goes to the senate.
The bill number is HB 142, in its ORIGINAL language

There is a VERY strong push to amend it, weaken it, by reducing the offense to a minor misdemeanor.
The way things are shaping up, it may very well come down to OFCC against the world to get it passed.

Someone needs to tell the OTHER gun groups in Ohio to work with us on this one.
Rowing upstream is very tiring
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

dc3dog wrote:
I would say that as long as you msg was presented in a positive way i.e. professional, no ranting, raving cursing, etc. then sending a email to your rep. is the right thing to do. I would also suggest making a phone call to your rep. as well. You may not get to speak to them right away but tell the staffer that you would like to respectfully as the rep. for their support of hb 142 (note that sometimes those numbers change and it is very helpful to know the correct hb #. Also, call and write your state senator. That bill will have a different # and may not even have one yet but still make the call and follow up later. Must importantly always be respectful and professional. The same holds true even if you do not support a particular bill, remember you catch more with honey than vinegar.
I don't have the original email since I used his website. But I believe I said "Could you please tell me if there is any movement on HB142".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Chuck wrote:It will have the same bill number once it goes to the senate.

There is a VERY strong push to amend it, weaken it, by reducing the offense to a minor misdemeanor.
The way things are shaping up, it may very well come down to OFCC against the world to get it passed.

So I won't get in trouble for jumping over on BFA's forums and asking what the frick is up ?

I'm head'in over there right now !
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I'll be very surprised if you get an answer
Ain't activism fun?

dc3dog

Post by dc3dog »

qmti wrote: I don't have the original email since I used his website. But I believe I said "Could you please tell me if there is any movement on HB142".
Your msg seems totally reasonable and not at all out of line to me. Now if you had said "Why in blank everylovin' blank haven't I seen any blankin' movement yet." then I would not expect a response (at least not a good one :) ). That would be filed and forgotten (or get you remembered and black listed). Now as for the msg that you did send, you may not have received a response (or not yet) as they often do not respond promptly if at all. This is why I also suggest making the phone call. Both the email and phone call will be kept "on file", counted, notated in some manner but phone calls most definitely hold more weight. If you are passionate about a bill either for or against then send email, send physical postcards (use color paper to make yours stand out), AND make phone calls. Again, when you call you will likely only be able to talk to a staffer or maybe only leave a voice msg but you should still do it, concisely make your point and politely ask if you could schedule a time to speak on the phone or even meet face to face. Your local senator or rep. may not even have an office in the district but might be willing to meet with you in a public restaurant. Believe me I've done it it can happen.
Molon labe.
dc3dog

Post by dc3dog »

Sorry I just went back and reread your msg. Nothing at all wrong with sending your msg. I have sent thank you emails and not received a response until several weeks later. So don't presume your voice was not heard or that your email was a waste of time. I was not wasted. I will however repeat myself again because this is so important. Make the phone call. Be persistent. Be polite be concise and call ever week until you get a response. You may find that you can establish a working relationship with the staffer as the middleman and email or speak on the phone through them. Also, you may find it easier to email direct instead of using the form on the web page. Generally the representatives email address is RepDistrict#@OhioHouse.gov Scott Wiggam is the Representative for District 1 so his email address is probably Rep1@OhioHouse.gov his phone number is (614) 466-1474. Representative Scott Wiggam is the primary sponsor of the bill so if nothing else just call and say you would like to thank the representative for sponsoring House Bill 142. Then ask if there is a corresponding Senate Bill. It doesn't look to me like there is yet but I certainly could be wrong. Keep it up and don't lose faith.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke ?
Molon labe.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Chuck wrote:I'll be very surprised if you get an answer
We shall see.

Probably some comments from the forumites over there, but from the brass, well I'm not holding my breath.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
dc3dog

Post by dc3dog »

Chuck, first don't misunderstand me I'm not trying to be jerk here just trying to answer some questions and at the same time raise awareness so with that I would like to respectfully ask a couple of questions.

1) Would you please provide some additional information/definition of "There is a VERY strong push to amend it"?

2) "Someone needs to tell the OTHER gun groups in Ohio to work with us on this one." Who would that someone be? and would that one/group include yourself? If yes, it does include you then would your please share your method/s?

3) How do you know the senate bill will have the same number? My experience shows that that is not always the case.
Has the senate bill already been introduced? I ask because I'm not finding it.

Thank you for your response, and thank you for doing what you do here to support the forum.
Molon labe.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

dc3dog wrote:

Chuck, first don't misunderstand me I'm not trying to be jerk here just trying to answer some questions and at the same time raise awareness so with that I would like to respectfully ask a couple of questions.

1) Would you please provide some additional information/definition of "There is a VERY strong push to amend it"?
It hasn't had a committee vote, and won't, with it's original language. If the committee chairman goes against the wishes of the House leadership and votes it out anyway, it won't get a floor vote.

dc3dog wrote:2) "Someone needs to tell the OTHER gun groups in Ohio to work with us on this one." Who would that someone be? and would that one/group include yourself? If yes, it does include you then would your please share your method/s?
Anyone who can get them to listen. Unfortunately, I have been striking out personally, as have been the rest of our team, using emails, phone calls, and various social media private messages.

dc3dog wrote:3) How do you know the senate bill will have the same number? My experience shows that that is not always the case.
Has the senate bill already been introduced? I ask because I'm not finding it.
It is ALWAYS the case, except for those very rare instances when a bill is introduced in both chambers simultaneously , usually due to an emergency.
Here's the way a law gets made in Ohio:
A bill gets introduced in either chamber and gets assigned a number beginning with HB if that chamber is the House, and SB if the Senate. it gets assigned to a committee that may vote it out to the floor, amend it, or kill it. Once it gets passed to the floor, leadership may or may not call for a floor vote. If the bill passes the floor vote, it gets sent to the other chamber, where it goes through the same procedure of committee, possible amendments, passage out of committee and floor votes. If there are any changes (amendments) made in the second chamber, the bill returns to the originating chamber for a concurrence vote. If that concurrence vote fails, it goes to a conference committee of both chambers to work out the differences. If the bill survives all that it goes to the governor's office for signing, veto, or allowed to become law without his signature.

The bill has the same number throughout the entire process
dc3dog wrote:Thank you for your response, and thank you for doing what you do here to support the forum.
If you like what we do, please consider supporting us with a membership. We are all volunteers who don't make a dime for doing what we do. Memberships pretty much pay for the website and bandwidth, and lawyers are expensive.
Every little bit helps
https://ohioccw.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!!
Ain't activism fun?

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Chuck wrote:
Please share with us any response he sends
I will if I get a reply, which I haven't yet. (two weeks and counting)
dc3dog

Post by dc3dog »

Ohio: Right to Carry Reform Bill Moves on to 5th Hearing

Call and Urge Your Committee Members to Support House Bill 142
http://www.ohiohouse.gov/

https://act.nraila.org/takeaction.aspx?AlertID=1799
Molon labe.