Can we have a frank discussion here?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Can we have a frank discussion here?

Post by M-Quigley »

rottman43055 wrote: Then the argument I had with the people saying they wouldn't use their gun to defend another at PITP, even if they saw an unarmed woman being attacked at PITP they'd just be a good witness. This really got me thinking because I would come to someone's aid & decided I wasn't going to purposely surround myself with those kind.
What did you or they mean by an unarmed woman being attacked ? What kind of attack? Initially questioning what is going on is one thing, and not illegal, but pulling a gun is something else. The reason I ask is if you are going to use a gun in a situation that you're not reasonably sure of what is going on, you may be misunderstanding the situation. There are some situations that are obvious, like a guy with a knife trying to stab or slice a woman and yelling Allah Akbar or something, but not all situations are so obvious. Case in point, when I was working security at a truck stop, I heard a woman yelling for help, and a guy wrestling with her on the ground. Fortunately I recognized the guy, he was a local cop working undercover, and the woman (who I didn't recognize) was a hooker who was trying to sell either herself or drugs or both, his choice. The woman wasn't a lightweight either. A guy who came over claiming to be a good Samaritan and wanted to interfere to help the poor woman was actually her pimp. I was told once that allegedly there is a similar type of situation in another part of the state where an Ohio CCW holder saw what he thought was an innocent person being attacked by two guys, and he pulled out his gun to stop it. He actually interfered in an undercover arrest. Luckily no one was shot, but he was charged and lost his CHL over it.

Even if an attack is real, if it's a domestic dispute, it's possible that the person being hit might not want your interference, and will tell the cops that they were merely having an argument, and you came up an threatened her BF/spouse with a deadly weapon. If it's a PITP situation you'll have witnesses on your side, but without other witnesses and or physical evidence, you may end up in trouble. If you're going to get into a third party situation, be careful about going straight for a gun unless the situation
obviously
requires it.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Mr. Rottman:

I see Chuck...and someone else.... has made three posts here before I finished mine, so I had to edit my comment and here's what's left of it.

I made a comment awhile back in this discussion regarding what might happen if OFCC disbanded, (forget how I said it now), and what our future as gun owners would look like in Ohio if we no longer existed to protect the rights we have fought for and to further our rights in the future and, well, I don't think we want to go there.
This discussion's intent, in my opinion, is to have a "healthy" discussion regarding the relationship between OFCC and our members, especially those who have seemed to have "left" the ranks of OFCC...... and why .
I'm aware that we don't all think alike and sometimes it's hard to put our differences aside....(yep, sometimes that's me)....heck, I'm one of the newer coordinators here....(aka, volunteer)......and I may not understand the thinking or agree all the time with the rest of the coords , or the Bod., BUT, we all want the same thing and "that" is to keep the wagon headed in the "right" direction and to do it in the most productive and efficient way possible.
And that takes two things...... Money AND Volunteers........and memberships provide both. Without "both" of these, we are not as effective as we could, should or want to be in our efforts.

While reading your post, Mr. Rottman, I think your gun rights are still very much at the top of your priority list, (as I believe it is with most(?) everyone who's taken part in this discussion or you wouldn't bother returning here to comment.

I didn't intend for this to sound like a "pep talk", but rather, despite our differences, we need to stay focused and remain united in our efforts. As the saying goes....."Many hands make the load much lighter", so please remember the "wagon" , we are trying to pull.

.....again, my $.02
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

A warm thank you for the replies.

Chuck, I'm actually not surprised my brother. The 2nd A community is blessed to have you and many others who continue to advance the cause.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
Oldfire

Post by Oldfire »

Chuck,

Thank you for starting this thread. Even though I have been a member of this discussion forum for several years and have told several others about it, I had never formally joined Ohioans for Concealeed Carry. This discussion thread was the incentive for me to finally do so. Member 10084.

John
(Oldfire)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you John!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Some of my closest friends have come from the ranks of the membership of this forum and organization. Chuck, you are most certainly amongst that group.
Life has been busier and busier for me and I've managed to miss PITP a few times. I'll work harder to make sure that doesn't happen next year. It was always a fun time and even though one would think not driving would be a challenge I never had a problem finding a ride and people to hang out with while at the party and after.
Organizationally I don't have a lot to say other than if there's something that fits into my skill set that I can be of help with, I'm happy to do that.
I guess some of this can also be traced back to my disappointment that we've not managed to make progress on campus carry, despite significant efforts behind the scenes. But that's nobody's fault so far as OFCC goes, but I'll say since I was so involved in that, it took some of the energy out of me.
I also think a email reminder when membership expiration approaches would be a help.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote: I also think a email reminder when membership expiration approaches would be a help.
Good point.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Also, just tried to get into my account to renew and can't seem to make it work. I request a password reset, get the code, reset my password, and then I can't use that new password.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

techguy85 wrote:Also, just tried to get into my account to renew and can't seem to make it work. I request a password reset, get the code, reset my password, and then I can't use that new password.
I had that problem last year. Jediskipdog was able to reset things for me, but it took him a long time to figure out the problem.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:Also, just tried to get into my account to renew and can't seem to make it work. I request a password reset, get the code, reset my password, and then I can't use that new password.
Pete, if YOU can't make the darn thing work, it must be broke real good! Jeez..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
techguy85 wrote: I also think a email reminder when membership expiration approaches would be a help.
Good point.
We've been doing that for about 2 years now.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Can you help them with the password reset, Jedi?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Chuck wrote:Is interest waning on gun rights in this state?
Has OFCC somehow pi**ed you off?
Have I perhaps, being the newest board member, gotten on your wrong side?

Membership is down, ticket sales to the PITP are down, even though OFCC is active as ever in both the courts and in the legislature.
I see many longtime forumites here who used to have Site Supporter or Patron badges under their name who do so no longer, people that I respect.
How can we win you back?
No.
No.
No.

Not a joiner, but I donate at least annually, and more if the clarion call goes out.

For me at least OFCC has served their purpose and after a long time wanting in 2004 my state permitted legal CCW. That's all I cared about for the longest time. A decade plus later with the good work of OFCC we have fine tuned laws that greatly benefit me. The biggies were parking lots and schools. Wonderful!

I don't care two wits about the two Ohio gun rights groups fighting. Political / personality bravo sierra to me, and life is too short for me to care. I have my own problems w/o the need to care about other's problems. I try to give at least $100 to each group every year as they both do good work for me personally.

As for board involvement after a decade of the same issues cropping up with new members (great news!) I had to move on. I still check in from time to time to see what the latest beeyach session is, what CHL holder screwed up, or how LE screwed up. I've been online on boards in one form or another since 1989 (usenet @ CWRU) and just got tired of "talking" on line. That is I got old.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Shoot me a PM with your email address on file, you real name that you registered with, and a possible password and I'll reset it for you.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Does anybody still think we ought to work with Brand X?

We could have had a neutered notification bill much sooner if we had
Ain't activism fun?