Can we have a frank discussion here?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Can we have a frank discussion here?

Post by rimfireOH »

schmieg wrote:The PITP should almost promote itself, but the information does need to be disseminated as soon as possible after the Fun 'N' Gun so people can plan. Another idea is to prepare a poster that can be downloaded and ask people to post it in various guns shops around the state.
^^^^^^ This, please! Fliers and early announcement of dates.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

rimfireOH wrote:
schmieg wrote:The PITP should almost promote itself, but the information does need to be disseminated as soon as possible after the Fun 'N' Gun so people can plan. Another idea is to prepare a poster that can be downloaded and ask people to post it in various guns shops around the state.
^^^^^^ This, please! Fliers and early announcement of dates.
We had the date for PITP posted here on the forums way back in January. Unfortunately, we never did get a flyer together. I vow to do better next year
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

The biggest problem with the flier super early is we really don't get speakers until mid summer. Dang politicians. We could always make a basic one, but it would essentially say Picnic, $20, prize raffle, and unknown speakers. From a marketing standpoint, that's not great which is why fliers come out super late.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:The biggest problem with the flier super early is we really don't get speakers until mid summer. Dang politicians. We could always make a basic one, but it would essentially say Picnic, $20, prize raffle, and unknown speakers. From a marketing standpoint, that's not great which is why fliers come out super late.
We can do fliers without speakers, but with information as to what will be addressed, then follow them up with more details in newer fliers later. Posting the fliers in gun shops and other friendly businesses has the potential to attract new people.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote: (1) I suspect the whole online experience is changing. While for a long time Forums were the rally point for gun groups, the scene is changing. Older folk still use them yet younger go the way of Facebook ect. The forum is a tad hard to use on the device of choice now, the smart phone. People will go for what is convenient.
Facebook is a horrible replacement for forums but I've watched a lot of my online friends disappear from forums because the action is on Facebook. IOW, changing a forum's format to display properly on a smartphone is probably not going to increase traffic on your forum very much, if at all.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I've lost interest to some extent because the political/philosophical leanings of some of the membership are a bit too conservative/right wing christian than I care for.. Also the forum is very clunky compared to most of the others I frequent, silly rules like not being allowed to post your email address in posts and no swearing allowed just get old. I am a registered republican but as mostly a libertarian I find the culture to be a bit too stuffy for me quite often... Nothing against anyone but, it feels like one of those churches where everyone home schools their kids, all the moms wear jean dresses down to their ankles and don't let their children date until their 25.... Not saying that's exactly how everyone is but, that vibe floats around a little too much for me...
-Aaron
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Imcrazy wrote:I've lost interest to some extent because the political/philosophical leanings of some of the membership are a bit too conservative/right wing christian than I care for.. Also the forum is very clunky compared to most of the others I frequent, silly rules like not being allowed to post your email address in posts and no swearing allowed just get old. I am a registered republican but as mostly a libertarian I find the culture to be a bit too stuffy for me quite often... Nothing against anyone but, it feels like one of those churches where everyone home schools their kids, all the moms wear jean dresses down to their ankles and don't let their children date until their 25.... Not saying that's exactly how everyone is but, that vibe floats around a little too much for me...
Not to get into a political philosophy debate, but, as a libertarian, that shouldn’t bother you unless those folks are trying to force you to go to their church, keep your kids at home and your wife in jean dresses.

You may still find the forum stuffy for other reasons- no problem there- but not because you are a libertarian. Libertarianism is a two way street, respect others choices as long as they don’t negatively impact your ability to make your own choices.

Sorry for the drift here, no offense meant.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Imcrazy wrote:I've lost interest to some extent because the political/philosophical leanings of some of the membership are a bit too conservative/right wing christian than I care for.. Also the forum is very clunky compared to most of the others I frequent, silly rules like not being allowed to post your email address in posts and no swearing allowed just get old. I am a registered republican but as mostly a libertarian I find the culture to be a bit too stuffy for me quite often... Nothing against anyone but, it feels like one of those churches where everyone home schools their kids, all the moms wear jean dresses down to their ankles and don't let their children date until their 25.... Not saying that's exactly how everyone is but, that vibe floats around a little too much for me...
Not allowing posting of email addresses is for your and other's protection. If you want to give it to someone, the private messaging will accomplish that without making the information public. The swearing restrictions are an attempt to maintain this as a family friendly forum and swearing can spoil that for many. If you can't express your thoughts without swear words, you should reevaluate your communication skills and techniques. We want ideas here, not ad hominem attacks.

Some here are very religious; some are agnostics. You will note that there are also restrictions on religious based messages as they rarely add substance to the discussion and can easily be used offensively.

Some here are on the liberal side; some on the conservative side; some fall in between. We are a disparate group with a common interest and common goal, but we all approach it from different perspectives.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'm trying to figure out what a Clunky forum is.... :(
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
slowquest

Post by slowquest »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I'm trying to figure out what a Clunky forum is.... :(

Mainly when posters won't move out of the left lane and clog things up.... 8)
“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Personal attacks will not be tolerated. I have mended my ways since the new law took effect in Ohio..but not always. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I'm trying to figure out what a Clunky forum is.... :(
One that doesn't run on tapatalk, doesn't support attachments etc... I frequent quite a few other forums that I can easily navigate from my iPhone app this one is a nightmare on the iPhone via safari and doesn't run on tapatalk... Pulling out the 'ole laptop and dusting off the keys is cumbersome.
-Aaron
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

We really need a reminder system around here when memberships are about to expire. :mrgreen:

To make amends, I bumped up to Patron.

Edit to add: At least I thought I did. Thought they were instant/automatic now?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It says Patron now.
I guess it depends on the meaning of “instant / automatic”
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Well, I'm young enough to have been spoiled by Prime shipping and old enough to not give a rip what they proclaim from on high in DC or Columbus any more. :wink:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.