Can we have a frank discussion here?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Can we have a frank discussion here?

Post by carmen fovozzo »

That may work sometime...but what if someone does not want to renew and for gets he is on auto renew ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:That may work sometime...but what if someone does not want to renew and for gets he is on auto renew ?
That's why I'm hoping an email goes out before hand, which I think it does.

But oddly enough, the auto-renew ability is currently on, but doesn't show up on the sign up pages. So now I'll have to figure out why not.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
The German

Post by The German »

Simply make it a monthly auto-charge. Smaller amount and whoever wants to cancel can do that at any time without a big financial impact (to OFCC or their own wallet).

My bigger thing is the lack of communication on where the Dollars go, what is actively being done, what the status of lawsuits is etc. Others already mentioned the lack of member inclusion into board elections etc. Besides this, I still enjoy the board and think it is a good thing to have it.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

The German wrote:Simply make it a monthly auto-charge. Smaller amount and whoever wants to cancel can do that at any time without a big financial impact (to OFCC or their own wallet).

My bigger thing is the lack of communication on where the Dollars go, what is actively being done, what the status of lawsuits is etc. Others already mentioned the lack of member inclusion into board elections etc. Besides this, I still enjoy the board and think it is a good thing to have it.
We do have the ability to do a monthly donation and that one auto-renews. For some reason I can't get the membership half to auto-renew (or at least show the box for users to check.) I'll continue working on it though.

As for the others, most dollars go towards litigation. It's not cheap fighting cases that take two years. And 9.68 doesn't have enough teeth in it for us to get what we are truly out. Basically, what is "prevail". If you fight for 10 issues and win 3 did you prevail? How about 7? Or do you need to win all 10 issues? If you lose then appeal and win the appeal, do you get reimbursed for the lower court loss? I don't think we have because the courts look at them as totally different cases.

Also, with most litigation, not much can be talked about. We could do monthly updates and they would say the same thing. "OFCC is still arguing in court."

The next biggest expenses after litigation is this website and forum. Yes, the main website needs a lot of work. Unfortunately, it's a PITA system and not easy for people to help us out with. I would love a huge overhaul, but that's above my pay grade as they say.

Now, what do you mean by lack of member inclusion into board elections? Is there anything the board can do better in that area?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

Heya, long time no see!

I"ve not been active here on OFCC for a while. I signed up around 10 years ago and was mostly active for that time. It's probably been close to 2 years since I posted here at this point. Not sure why I decided to visit the forums again this morning but I did.

Your question got me thinking. I know the answer for me, but I'm not sure if it applies to more than just me. It isn't that I have any problem with OFCC. I still think it's the best firearms rights organization in Ohio. I do agree that I wish the BFA and OFCC could bury the hatchet but I understand they have legit differences in opinion. In general I support the BFA, but I've never been a member or active with them. The most involvement I've had with them is occasionally entering one of their raffles. Most of the time their goals align, when they don't I find I agree with OFCC 99% of the time.

Even when I was a dues paying member and active on the forum regularly I never attended PITP or other events so I can't say about those. I just never had the time.

For me, the reason I became less active and eventually let my membership lapse is because I stopped using the forums. If it was on an auto renew I would have let it keep going, but as they say out of sight out of mind. I used the forum less largely because of changes in myself and technology in the past 10 years.

in 2007 when I joined. Internet forums were still king of the hill. Social media was around but it was a new kid on the block and nobody really knew if it would last or if it was just a fad. Used to, I'd get home from work and have dinner and spend 2-3 hours a night on forums (not just OFCC). I don't do that anymore.

Fast forward to the present and I use my smartphone to keep in touch with communities now a days. Mostly via Reddit. I do still actively post regularly on a couple of forums but only forums that support tapatalk. I still spend 2-3 hours a day connecting with communities, but I do it in short bursts though the day now and via my smart phone. Yes, you can browse the OFCC forums via your smart phone's web browser but it isn't a very good experience.

That said, I'm sure having the forums set up for tapatalk isn't a small task. I'm also not sure if that would really help or if it's just my case.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
peacefulvalley
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by peacefulvalley »

Been reading the posts about membership renewal and IMO members can be retained if the web site and forum was accessible. My case today is typical of the problems since I've been a member.
Today I checked the site and noticed my membership expired on October 26, 2017...I didn't receive any notice of renewal. A few minutes ago I go to the main site and try to renew and I'm told that I'm not a member. Since 2013 I've not been able to join groups or try to get information because I don't have authorization.
I would like to keep my membership but sometimes it's not worth the hassle and I'm sure I'm not the only one with these kind of problems.
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
MR D

Post by MR D »

Well, I have not been posting here, because I have been a resident of PA or the last six years. Finally moved back to Ohio.

I am looking forward to renewing old acquaintances and making new.
"I'd rather be tried by a jury of my peers, than carried by six of my friends..."
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Welcome back!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

peacefulvalley wrote:Been reading the posts about membership renewal and IMO members can be retained if the web site and forum was accessible. My case today is typical of the problems since I've been a member.
Today I checked the site and noticed my membership expired on October 26, 2017...I didn't receive any notice of renewal. A few minutes ago I go to the main site and try to renew and I'm told that I'm not a member. Since 2013 I've not been able to join groups or try to get information because I don't have authorization.
I would like to keep my membership but sometimes it's not worth the hassle and I'm sure I'm not the only one with these kind of problems.
You are not alone with your membership issues. I have tried several times over the course of several years to renew my membership. Each time the site will not let me choose my forum username as it is already in use. Each time I sent a detailed email asking for help with the issue. I never received any reply to my membership inquires. One would think someone, at some point, would want to correct the issue to allow those like me to support the organization.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

peacefulvalley wrote:Been reading the posts about membership renewal and IMO members can be retained if the web site and forum was accessible. My case today is typical of the problems since I've been a member.
Cosmos wrote:You are not alone with your membership issues. I have tried several times over the course of several years to renew my membership. Each time the site will not let me choose my forum username as it is already in use. Each time I sent a detailed email asking for help with the issue. I never received any reply to my membership inquires. One would think someone, at some point, would want to correct the issue to allow those like me to support the organization.
I'm not sure why you haven't gotten a reply to your inquiries, but if both of you will PM me your names and email addresses I will look into the issue and see what I can find out. I'm confident we can fix the problem and get your account issues resolved.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
peacefulvalley
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by peacefulvalley »

Thank you justashooter. As I said I don't have any access and that includes sending you a PM.
Thanks for the try.
peacefulvalley <email deleted per TOS—m380g>
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

JustaShooter wrote:
Cosmos wrote:You are not alone with your membership issues. I have tried several times over the course of several years to renew my membership. Each time the site will not let me choose my forum username as it is already in use. Each time I sent a detailed email asking for help with the issue. I never received any reply to my membership inquires. One would think someone, at some point, would want to correct the issue to allow those like me to support the organization.
I'm not sure why you haven't gotten a reply to your inquiries, but if both of you will PM me your names and email addresses I will look into the issue and see what I can find out. I'm confident we can fix the problem and get your account issues resolved.
I want to publicly thank JustaShooter for correcting the issues allowing me to renew my membership.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

peacefulvalley wrote:Thank you justashooter. As I said I don't have any access and that includes sending you a PM.
Thanks for the try.
peacefulvalley <email deleted—m380g>

The form software requires you to have at least five post before you can use the private message system
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

peacefulvalley wrote:Thank you justashooter. As I said I don't have any access and that includes sending you a PM.
Thanks for the try.
peacefulvalley <email deleted—m380g>
I may be able to fix things with just your username and email address, I'll take a look at it here in the next day or two. In the mean time, post a couple more times so the forum software will allow you to use PMs so you can send me your name & address if needed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

And we thought he was Justashooter.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens