Scenerio RE: alcohol/firearms

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: Scenerio RE: alcohol/firearms

Post by djthomas »

tbrew85 wrote:
TJW815 wrote:Are you by chance confusing it with the signs that refer to furnishing to a minor
Well, I cant categorically deny that mistake, but I'm 97% sure it referenced firearms at the beginning. That's what drew my attention to it.
I've noticed that sometimes outdoor festivals post their own warning signs rather than the state-provided ones, usually as part of a larger sign board or so they can use their own cutesy fonts. There's no requirement to use the state-issued signs, and an establishment can't get in trouble for failing to post the signs. Furthermore the wording on any signs only has to be substantially correct.

Anyway, if the group makes their own signs and doesn't get the copy right (as in correct), flubs a header or otherwise just smashes it together you could easily wind up with something that reads like this:
WARNING

If you are carrying a firearm

Under the statutes of Ohio, if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony and are subject to a term of actual incarceration of one or two years.

Under the statutes of the state of Ohio, if you order, pay for, share the cost of, or attempt to purchase, or possess or consume beer or intoxicating liquor in any public place, or furnish false information as to name, age, or other identification, you are subject to a fine of up to one thousand dollars, or imprisonment up to six months, or both.
Between the two paragraphs there should be a heading that says "If you are under the age of 21" since they are supposed to be two different signs. Obviously forgetting to include that makes the sign say something entirely different. No matter how it's worded the sign can't make illegal that which is legal nor can it make legal that which is illegal.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd bet the house djthomas just nailed down exactly what happened. Two different ORC sections, thrown together on one sign.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

djthomas wrote:
tbrew85 wrote:
TJW815 wrote:Are you by chance confusing it with the signs that refer to furnishing to a minor
Well, I cant categorically deny that mistake, but I'm 97% sure it referenced firearms at the beginning. That's what drew my attention to it.
I've noticed that sometimes outdoor festivals post their own warning signs rather than the state-provided ones, usually as part of a larger sign board or so they can use their own cutesy fonts. There's no requirement to use the state-issued signs, and an establishment can't get in trouble for failing to post the signs. Furthermore the wording on any signs only has to be substantially correct.

Anyway, if the group makes their own signs and doesn't get the copy right (as in correct), flubs a header or otherwise just smashes it together you could easily wind up with something that reads like this:
WARNING

If you are carrying a firearm

Under the statutes of Ohio, if you possess a firearm in any room in which liquor is being dispensed in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, you may be guilty of a felony and are subject to a term of actual incarceration of one or two years.

Under the statutes of the state of Ohio, if you order, pay for, share the cost of, or attempt to purchase, or possess or consume beer or intoxicating liquor in any public place, or furnish false information as to name, age, or other identification, you are subject to a fine of up to one thousand dollars, or imprisonment up to six months, or both.
Between the two paragraphs there should be a heading that says "If you are under the age of 21" since they are supposed to be two different signs. Obviously forgetting to include that makes the sign say something entirely different. No matter how it's worded the sign can't make illegal that which is legal nor can it make legal that which is illegal.

That's it. The second paragraph is what was printed, with the top line exactly as you have. I don't recall the first paragraph on this particular sign, but I could be wrong.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein